Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3648 - 02/16/03 03:29 PM 6.1 surround questions
SnorterLuster Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I just got my replacement 1050 and got everything hooked up. The receiver is all I hoped it would be. I originally hooked up 5 speakers (2 main, 2 surround and 1 sub). Everthing worked as it should. Today I decided to hook up a rear center surround for 6.1. I mainly wanted to hear how much difference it would make. Unfortunately, it is not playing. The display on receiver doesn't show the rear surround as being there. The center surround is turned on.

I hooked my TIVO to opt 1, my CD to opt 2, and the DVD to opt 3. Do I need to also hook up the analog connections to get 6.1 to work? If so, should I leave the optical connections in place or just do away with them? The center surrond does show up if I push the 6 direct on the remote, but there is no sound at all.

Boomer Sooner!

#3649 - 02/16/03 05:27 PM Re: 6.1 surround questions
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
I am sure gonk will be along soon to provide the definitive answer to your question (I mean that with the greatest respect, gonk), but in the meantime: Are you trying to play a DVD with at least 5.1 DD? Unless I am mistaken, even with the center surround turned on, the icon for the speaker won't show until there is something going to the rear surrounds, because otherwise there is nothing for the 1050 to process into the center surround.

Go Cowboys!

Mike (in Stillwater)

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

#3650 - 02/16/03 07:11 PM Re: 6.1 surround questions
SnorterLuster Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Mike,

I have tried disks with DD 5.1 and have the same results. I am sure that there is some setting I am missing--I just can't figure out what or where it is. Thanks for your input.

Looking forward to Bedlam this week--I hope for better results in Norman. A Sutton team is always tough to beat though.

Boomer Sooner

#3651 - 02/16/03 07:25 PM Re: 6.1 surround questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
A few things to check:

[*]Make sure the surround back speaker is turned on in the 1050's menu (which you indicate you have done)
    [*]Put a disc in that has a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. Surround 6.1 will not work without either a Dolby Digital 5.1 input or a 5.1 analog input, and since you don't have the six-channel analog connections made we'll leave that option alone for now.
    [*]Turn on the "Surround 6.1" mode using either the remote (very bottom left-hand button) or the button on the face of the 1050. At this point, the surround back speaker indicator on the 1050's display will light up and the "Surround 6.1" indicator will also light up.

Let us know if that gets you on track or not. (Oh, and thanks for the faith in me, michael )

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3652 - 02/16/03 09:12 PM Re: 6.1 surround questions
SnorterLuster Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk,

Beats the heck out of me what is going on. I tried the DVD (We Were Soldiers) that said it was Dolby digital English 5.1 Surround EX and got no center surround. I then tried (Just Cause) that the box says is dolby digital and still no center surround. I finally tried (Jurassic Park III) that says Dolby Digital 5.1 and it worked!

At this point, I can't tell from the box what it is that differentiates these three movies since all three say they are Dolby Digital and the onscreen menus say they are 5.1. Maybe something to do with my DVD player--Beats me.

Thanks for your help. I had given up messing with it anymore tonight until I read your reply. I decided to give it one more shot though and I am glad I did. Now I won't lay in bed trying to figure out what I had missed doing when setting up. I now know the 1050 is just fine.

Boomer Sooner!

#3653 - 02/16/03 10:10 PM Re: 6.1 surround questions
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
See, I told you gonk could fix it!

As for the Pokes, geez, they can't even beat Baylor (Sutton said the Baylor game was one of the 10 worst losses in his carrer). Then again, maybe that was a Sutton ploy to psych. the Sooners....umm.

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM