Suddenly realized I have major confusion over hardware specs on "driven" channels. Not sure how to even phrase what I'm trying to clarify. Since I have 7.1 speakers now. What I intend is hardware for max separation of these channels regardless of decoders. Although I know the two are intertwined in practicality since you still need software,(and DVD encoded discs) (8?discreet channel capable DVD's are not recorded yet) to have full use of every speaker ie: tracking movement in 360 degrees. Since manuf. list specs in no particular order, in various confusing terminology (to me) I suddenly realized when looking at specs on the HK AVR 8000 that what I thought was 7.1 (as in speaker channels) (is 7.1 also referred to as 8 channel?) also has a stat. stating 110 watt x 5, so really the 7.1 listed is Decoders onboard only? giving a 7.1 effect and this IS a 5 channel receiver? What different connection stats. will cue me into whether these units are 5,6, or more channel receivers? When the Pioneer VSX-49TX mentions 7.1 Multi Channel Inputs & 7.1 Channel Pre-outs, does that mean 8 separated channels vs the 5 in the HK?
I'm running into the same foggy brain when looking at pre/pros.
Ex: The 950 is called a 7 channel pre-pro am I looking at the A/V number? on this unit to show the hardware channels driven? Since I seem to have discovered the HK is only a 5 channel receiver (though to a layperson (me) appearing as 7.1 SEPERATE CHANNELS at first)and by those stats. is the Pioneer a true 8 channel? If you think in terms of 7 for fronts, backs/sides, centers. With an assumption that the .1 is powered. Is THAT effectivly 8 seperatly powered channels?
I have never had the fun of hooking up cables, so looking at outputs/inputs & digital/analogue stats. on these products to discifer the hardware channel capibilites is beyond me.
I'm not sure if I've even clarified what I'm trying to ask. Let me explain how foreign the back of these units are to me.
I don't even KNOW what it is the speaker wire connects to..imputs/outputs digital/analg?
I' cant tell by looking at the connection stats on these units (unless the manf somewhere clearly states 7 sep channels driven) whether they are 6,7,8 separate (hardware?) channels vs 5 hardware channels with 7.1 matrixed sound?
Lost in a new world without the guidebook? Thanks for any help!!