Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3548 - 01/31/03 05:29 PM Another Hook Up Question
Daryl R Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA USA
I have the 1050, a DVD Recorder/Player, VCR, and Digital Cable Box (A/V out - RWY). I am in the process of copying my VHS tapes to DVD. I would like to be able to watch TV while copying a tape from the VCR to the DVD Recorder. Is this possible? If so, what would the hookup be?

I realize I could just take the VCR & DVD out of the picture and hook them together independently, but I would like to occasionally monitor the recording on the TV.

Thanks!

#3549 - 01/31/03 05:46 PM Re: Another Hook Up Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've got a DVD recorder in my future at some point (not sure when, but it's the one upgrade I plan to make this year). Since one of the big reasons I plan to get one is to archive the collection of video that my dad has shot over the last 20+ years, I anticipate a lot of copying that will want to go on in the background. Since I'm planning on getting a Panasonic (either the E30 or HS2), I plan to use the recorder's two rear inputs and two outputs to connect the DVD-R to my 950's VCR in/out and then connect the VCR's in/out to the DVD-R's second set of rear inputs and outputs. Watching a video tape will involve passing the signal through the DVD-Recorder. I don't think the Philips allows this.

Two other options that occur to me: use the RF coax to connect the VCR to the DVD-R (at the expense of some quality), or get an A/V switch from Radio shack with at least two RWY inputs and one output. Connect the record out from the 1050 to one input and the VCR's A/V out to the other input, and then connect that to the DVD-R's A/V input. In position "A", the recorder will record whatever you are watching on the 1050 (digital cable, for example). In position "B" you could copy a tape while watching cable TV.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3550 - 01/31/03 05:48 PM Re: Another Hook Up Question
BeginnersLuck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Hook the DVD recorder up to video 1 and the VCR up to video 2 or 3. Rec. in on the DVD recorder goes into rec. out on the 1050. Play out on the DVD recorder goes into play in on the 1050. Then hook the VCR's play out to the play in on the 1050. Now you should have no problem. Don't forget to make sure you are using the video switching on the 1050 to monitor the recording. Good Luck!

#3551 - 01/31/03 06:01 PM Re: Another Hook Up Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

BeginnersLuck's suggestion works perfectly if you don't want to watch any other source while copying. If the VCR is on Video2 and the digital cable is on Video3, the DVD recorder will record from the VCR when the input selected is Video2, the digital cable when the input selected is Video3, and the radio if the input selected is the tuner. Of course, you could always simply switch the TV to some input other than the 1050's "monitor out" (cable TV connected directly to it, using the TV's speakers) and leave the 1050 to handle the recording...

------------------

#3552 - 01/31/03 06:25 PM Re: Another Hook Up Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

While we're talking about "gotchas" on this particular wiring question, here's one that just occurred to me about the first arrangement that I described above. If you have the VCR hooked up so that you have to pass the signal through the DVD recorder to watch any tape, rented and purchased movies (anything with Macrovision) will be basically unwatchable.

------------------

#3553 - 01/31/03 06:45 PM Re: Another Hook Up Question
Daryl R Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk;

My present setup (without the 1050, which just arrived today) consists of A/V signals going from Digital Cable Box into DVD-R Line1 (Panasonic E30) then video cable into TV and audio cables into receiver. VCR A/V outs run into Line 3 of DVD-R. When switching the DVD-R to Line 3 I can view the tape being played (and recorded). When I switch the input on the DVD-R to Line 1 I can view TV, but...the DVD-R will switch from recording the tape to recording what is on TV. That is what I would like to circumvent, if possible.

#3554 - 01/31/03 08:09 PM Re: Another Hook Up Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

OK, I sketched it out a bit, and I think I've got it all figured out. It will require one more video cable, and will mean that you'll need to use the 1050 for video switching. See what you think of this:

Connect the E30's Out1 to the Video1 input on the 1050. Connect the 1050's Video1 out to the E30's Line1 input. Connect the VCR's A/V output to the Line3 input of the E30 (as you are already doing). Connect the digital cable box to Video2 on the 1050. Then connect the TV's composite video input to the monitor output of the 1050. Basically, we've moved the digital cable box from the E30 to the 1050, hooked the E30 up like a VCR, and started using the 1050's video switching. Any time that the E30 is set to use Line1 as its input, it will record from the VCR loop output of the 1050 -- so selecting Line1 on the E30 and Video2 on the 1050 will let you record from the cable box. You can also leave the E30 on Lin3 and copy from the VCR while watching Video2 on the 1050; you can also hop over the Video1 to see how the recording is going.

By the way, how do you like the E30 so far?

------------------

#3555 - 01/31/03 08:36 PM Re: Another Hook Up Question
Daryl R Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks gonk, I'll try it that way.
So far I like the E30 a lot, but all I've done is copy VHS tapes to DVD-R. I'm not really into buying DVDs, rather I'm trying to reduce all the space my 400+ tapes are taking up! I particularly like the "Flex Recording" feature, where if a program runs a little over the selected recording speed it will somehow "squeeze it in", or "stretch it out." Whatever. In other words, I can record a 2 hour, 15 minute program on Standard Play, rather than having to use Extended Play. Something like that. I bought it new from an online dealer for $505 - a lot cheaper than just about any other DVD Recorder. My only "gripe", as it were, is that it won't record DVD-RW, I have to use DVD-RAM for rewritable discs - a lot more $$.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 223 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM