Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3539 - 01/30/03 03:22 PM Speaker wire lenght
FAR Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just bought the 1050, and I am working on a 5.1 setup, I had bought speaker wire from HD 14 guage. I had seen a reply here saying that I need even length for all 5 speakers, is it true? My rear speaker wire needs at least 30'!
And is 14 guage too much?
Thanks

#3540 - 01/30/03 03:46 PM Re: Speaker wire lenght
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm going to second soundhound's comment -- there is no need to match speaker cable length. I have 2-meter cables on my left and center channels, 2.5-meter cables on my right channel, and between 25 and 40 feet to each of my three surrounds (6.1 system). Now if you are bi-wiring, I would recommend using equal lengths of the same kind of wire (although some people do use different cables for the low and high on bi-wired systems), but I could see an argument even there against worrying about it. I'd recommend 14 gauge or 12 gauge for the wires, particularly on the longer runs (20'+).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3541 - 01/30/03 03:55 PM Re: Speaker wire lenght
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Gonk:

The only thing that I would defend for matching speaker wire length is that it is better to have matched lengths for main pairs of speakers, like the main left and right.

This is only because the resistances of the wires will be identical, and thus their speaker frequency response interaction will be identical for both sides. This is a very small effect, but if it only costs a couple bucks more to eliminate this possibility, I think it's worth doing.

#3542 - 01/30/03 04:30 PM Re: Speaker wire lenght
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think that's good advise. My two surrounds were once both ~30' long, and are still very close to the same length. The lone surround back is longer, but it is also on its own. I've historically always had the same length on my left, right, and center channels, but I'm planning to make some equipment rack changes one of these days and will need a little extra length on the right channel. Rather than replace both the left and right channels, I moved the right channel cables to the center and got slightly longer cables for the right. It's a little bit of a compromise, and I knew it would be from the beginning, but I have not noticed any problems with it.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 236 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM