" Before I go....Charlie, I just wanted to say that I called Outlaw Tech and spoke to some dude who said I'm doing everything right - keeping all video inputs AWAY from the 1050. He said I should plug all audio sources into the 1050 and route all video directly to the TV."

Just keeps it simpler.
Nothing wrong with that.

It sounds like you have equipment that will allow you to make connections in quite a few different ways that would give you better sound than the CoAx cable connections.
( S-video from the DVD to the TV ? )
Generaly TV's with a S-Video jack will also have at least one red-wht-yellow input set. ( somtimes several )
For the best audio signal and slightly better video making connections between components using the R-W-Y cables would be the best connection to use when available over the CoAx type cable that comes out of the wall for your cable TV. CoAx is what the cable company usually gives you to connect the cable box to the TV since all TV's still have a CoAx input "for now"

"another reason why I left my VCR out of the cablebox scenario, is that the audio signal from my VCR is really weak (when playing VCR tapes), and so I thought of leaving the VCR out of the cable-TV setup. I'll swap the cable and see if it makes any difference."

Sounds like a CoAx connection to me.

Even if you connect a video source component's Red-Wht audio directly to the 1050 you should be able to connect the same component's yellow video to the TV's yellow input and skip the CoAx.