Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#34175 - 07/05/04 10:41 PM 7100 vs anything else
CJ Paul Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey all, I'm doing some preliminary planning for adding an amp to my system and using my Yamaha receiver as a pre/pro. I would love to eventually add a pre/pro, but for now we're just talking amp.

I have Mirage Omni series speakers. They're rated at 93dB efficient according the manufacturer and I don’t think they are super hard to drive. I also know from some S&V review that this receiver doesn’t put out its rated power (only 50 watts in multi channel), so any amp would probably be sending my speakers more power than what they are getting now.

My only concern and biggest reason for posting is that the Secrets review called the 7100 analytical for two-channel. Two-channel is a big concern of mine, in fact, the bigger reason for upgrading to an amp is to continue my two-channel upgrades that I've begun. I'm worried that a 7100 might not be right for my stereo needs.

Let my add just a little more detail. I used to have Paradigms and I think my new Mirage speakers are warmer and more laid back. I like that sound and I don’t want to buy a "bright" amp lose it. Of course, some people think Yamaha receivers are bright, so maybe the outlaw would be warmer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

CJ

#34176 - 07/06/04 12:00 AM Re: 7100 vs anything else
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Far from an insult, if ‘analytical’ means ‘faithful and exacting amplified reproduction of the incoming signal,’ if it means ‘does not color the electrical signal,’ and if that means ‘exerts detailed control over the load being driven,’ then I think ‘analytical’ is a compliment.

You do know, of course, that the Outlaw 30-day at-home audition in your own system will give you the opportunity to learn what no reviewer can tell you: how the 7100 will sound as a part of your system, in your environment. Be sure that you will have plenty of time over two or three weeks to listen to familiar material.

Yes, there are other alternatives, some of them may be good. If you have use for genuine 7 x 100 watt power, the question is: will you ever find a better ratio of excellence to cost? If you feel that you can risk the return shipping cost, I would heartily recommend giving the Outlaw a try.

#34177 - 07/06/04 07:46 AM Re: 7100 vs anything else
rance Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston. MA
I find my 7100 to be an excellent amp. Nothing is added or subtracted from the music, which is as it should be. And as bestbang4thebuck pointed out, nothing beats an audition in your own home with your own equipment.

#34178 - 07/08/04 01:06 AM Re: 7100 vs anything else
Bretmad Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Long Beach, CA, USA
I understand your trepidation. I, too, hesitated before buying the 7100, but took the leap in early June. After a month, I can say assuredly it's a very good amplifier. During the first two weeks or so, I noticed some "harshness" when the amp was cold. But, that characteristic disappeared after ten minutes or so of listening. And, honestly, I haven't noticed it at all lately. The 7100 is built like a tank - and paired with a Rotel 1066 pre/pro, it produces a detailed and warm sound. Highly recommended.

One last point -along with the 7100, I own an ICBM. I bought both on the strength of the commentary in this forum. Both products are excellent and the regular contributors here are reliable. If 100 watts/channel is enough, I doubt you would have any regrets buying the amp.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM