Quote:

my point is that pre/pros are overpriced for what you are getting, their cost vs benefits do not approach the point where one would want to get one solely on the fact that is a pre/pro.

BEING A PRE/PRO IN NO WAY MEANS THAT YOU ARE SUPERIOR TO A RECEIVER. SOME ARE BETTER AND SOME ARE NOT. RIGHT NOW A LOT OF THE MORE VALUE MINDED COMPANIES ARE OFFERING DATED PRE/PROS (AS IS THE TREND WITH THEM, BECAUSE THEY WANT VALUE FROM THEIR GEAR IN THE FIRST PLACE), BUT IN THE FUTURE A PRE/PRO AT THE PRICE WHERE I GOT MY RECEIVER COULD BE AS GOOD AS IT; RIGHT NOW THERE IS NOT ONE.

[/B]

Well that is interesting considering that on May 21 2004 you posted "I was going to go with Anthem AV20 before I read about the Outlaw stuff which seems very competitive. Also looked at Rotel very closely. The Outlaw combo just seems like the best value and that is important to me." Even though this was AFTER you posted you had purchased a Denon Receiver. Secondly, and most importantly, how can you draw any conclusions about sound quality between receivers and pre/pro's if you have not spent any significant time with a pre/pro in your system Seems to me you lack the hands on knowledge to adequately make a comparison between the two.

As far as the digital connections becoming obselete, again you don't have any experience in running a properly calibrated and setup system with analog connections, so you can't really comment. The only reason why a digital connection would be better than analog is if the DAC's in the pre/pro/receiver are superior that those in the player and for convenience (less wires). Plus, the jury is still out on what connection is going to be fully implemented, so you may be buying something you do not need.

I'd be interested in you elaborating more on how you can improve MY system more than by improving my pre/pro. Have you ever heard my system? So you are saying that I should upgrade the NHT speakers I have? I happen to like my speakers, so I'll keep them the same thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
[b]IF sony did sound as good, then you are right. sony does not, so the purchase would be a waste. i should say that no sony i have ever heard was good, but i dont auditon ever because they are always inferior.
[/B]

Once again, you make statements about a topic in which you have no experience. How do you know the new Sony receivers sound badly? You didn't listen to their new receivers so you can't really accurately comment on their sound.