multichannel audio and analog connected equipment is the only place that you wont get digital signal processing (if you want to not get it...). so if you think processing in the digital domain is so bad, then quit watching anything connected digitally. i for one have no analog connections to my receiver (that is a pre/pro) so i am only getting digital to analog conversion once. i guess some people use more analog than that, but it is becoming more obsolete as the days pass. even multichannel audio (where there is a benefit from connecting analog) is likely to be replaced by a digital connection. once that happens the d.s. processor in your processor will be the center of any decoding/steering/etc. hence the need for it in the first place and the development of digital transmission cables.

i hope you only listen to stereo coming from analog inputs, because if not the nasty little thing called dsp is mutilating your signal. or perhaps it is making it what is so great about surround sound...

yes, i did demo a couple of pre/pros (not the 950 since they are online only and you have to pay for return shipping and is more outdated than i desired). however the minimal (if any) gains sonically, were far outweighed by the heftier price tag associated with pre/pros that were current on their processing and included some features that i liked. i dont mind the price of something, it is the value that i am looking for. a product being $10k could be better than one costing $1k, but it is not likely that is 10x better, or even 2x better, so it would not merit the price increase. however if there was a product being $2000 that was 2x as good as one costing $1000, then it would warrant a look. unfortunately prices are not structured like that in audio, you pay way more money for slightly better sound (and same features) or at least the perception that you are getting better sound.

i think there are better ways to enhance my (and your) system than wasting money just by going pre/pro. as we all should know the most important pard of sound reproduction is the reproducer, i.e. the speaker. the speaker is where all the signal gets changed in audible tones, and if you want to make a dramatic improvement it is the speakers that will make the most. yes, changing from a tape deck to a cd would be a big change, but some assumption of even the lowest end (albeit current) gear would see the greatest effectual difference by changing speakers.

my point is that pre/pros are overpriced for what you are getting, their cost vs benefits do not approach the point where one would want to get one solely on the fact that is a pre/pro.

BEING A PRE/PRO IN NO WAY MEANS THAT YOU ARE SUPERIOR TO A RECEIVER. SOME ARE BETTER AND SOME ARE NOT. RIGHT NOW A LOT OF THE MORE VALUE MINDED COMPANIES ARE OFFERING DATED PRE/PROS (AS IS THE TREND WITH THEM, BECAUSE THEY WANT VALUE FROM THEIR GEAR IN THE FIRST PLACE), BUT IN THE FUTURE A PRE/PRO AT THE PRICE WHERE I GOT MY RECEIVER COULD BE AS GOOD AS IT; RIGHT NOW THERE IS NOT ONE.

------------------

This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited June 04, 2004).]