Quote:
Originally posted by Lasher:
If the pre/pro section of most receivers was as good as a dedicated pre/pro than why aren’t companies like Denon and Yamaha or Pioneer offering these as a pre/pro option? It would seem if they sold them without the amp section they could manufacture them cheaper and sell them for more just because it is a pre/pro.
Lasher

So you are saying that pre/pros have inflated prices just because they are typically considered "better"? the reason manufacturers like denon, pioneer, etc. are not doing so, is because a lot of people have receivers, if you want to use their product differently then you still have to pay for the amps you aren't using. so they would rather sell more quantity at a lower price (but higher than it would be if they offered a pre/pro) than less quantity at a higher price. if i could get the same performance out of a receiver for $1000, i would never pay $1500 just to say i got a pre/pro. you are foolish to think that just because it lacks amplification it is inferior. technology is driving audio right now, so if your product lacks newer tech. and is not upgradeable then it is obsolete. what purchases boil down to is what you want, if x product has more that you want that y product and price is irrelevant then you will be buying x everytime. unfortunately the outlaw 950, and other moderately price pre/pros lacked what i liked about the denon 3805 and lack what he likes about the pioneer.
i agree that specs don't mean much as far as sound quality goes, but that doesn't imply that a product with great specs will sound like crap.

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited May 11, 2004).]