I am currently using six M200s in an active tri-amp stereo application. Since I enjoy experimentation, I purchased some LCY ribbon tweeters to replace the Scan Speak D2905/990000 tweeters in my satellites.

Here's the problem. The ribbons are transformer-coupled and a fraction of the DIY community with whom I've corresponded suggest that I must use a capacitor to AC couple these tweeters. They argue that I could damage the amps or the tweeters if I neglect the cap. Others claim that the cap is optional, but may actually be desireable, since it will insure that the transformer is never driven into saturation. A final contingent thinks that the cap is a bad idea, since it is a superfluous passive component directly in the loudspeaker (tweeter) reproductive chain.

The dealer from whom I purchased the tweeters claims that he has actively driven these tweeters without a cap in several designs, and that even a small amount of DC offset on the amplifiers would probably be a negligable effect.

Of course, if the M200s are already AC coupled, this is a non-issue. Are they?

Please comment on the notion of DC-coupling these tweeters to the M200s in my system.

BTW, I am DC coupling the Scan Speak tweeters now with no problems.

Thanks,
Jim