Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3281 - 12/26/02 04:52 PM Home Theater Advice
skip marr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I am implementing a 16 X 16 room. I want to create a home theater sound stage with minimum product visibility. I have a lot of windows that will not be covered, so glare could be an issue for the TV. Please read below and offer comments and product recommendations. I can research via the web, and then can arrange to meet with you when my business travels bring me to your area again. I suspect my primary concern initially is the TV screen display, followed by electronics, and then speakers. Please offer your comments on the following: 1. TV - Plasma - I read about Plasma and that it wears out quickly (phosphors burn out or get damaged), can't take video games very long (too much burn in), and doesn't come with anything (no tuners, etc.). Looking at 42 models, some don't offer HD, which I am told is not important in Plasma. . I have been unable to have anyone in St. Louis show me a local or regular broadcast TV picture on plasma. I read that the everyday TV viewing is not that great on plasma - that is looks grainy - and that plasma is only good for DVD and HDTV. What is your experience? Comments? 2. TV - Rear Projection - I understand these wear out in 5-7 years, and that this time next year they will be dinosaurs. Besides that, you need a dimly lit room and need to be in just the right position to enjoy. Comments? 3. TV - DLP - The new trend, but you have to buy a $400 light bulb every few years. Too much like CRT's? A $4000 DLP and one light replacement put it about at the price of Plasma. Please comment. 4. TV - Traditional tube - only choice is 34 widescreen by Philips, Panasonic, Zeneth, or Sony. Comments? 5. Components - Have had HK ( somewhat pleased) and Yamaha (somewhat disappointed). Please comment on model and power for the room described as well as brand...Integra, Yamaha, HK, NAD, Denon...others? DVD players - single or multi - burner or player? Please comment. 6. Speakers - Have had Genesis, Advent, and now Klipsch Hereseys. The family wants out of sight sound, and have tried in walls by Sonance - no good. Have read up on a new omnipolar design by Mirage, as well as satellite/sub systems by Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, Canton, and B&W. Is omnipolar the way to go, or stick with traditional box styles? Please comment. Thanks.

#3282 - 12/26/02 07:05 PM Re: Home Theater Advice
LarryTT Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Long Island, NY
Skip, you need to post these questions in other places:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/

http://www.hometheaterspot.com

http://www.avsforums.com

Their are plenty of others, but these are good places to begin.

Larry

#3283 - 12/27/02 01:21 AM Re: Home Theater Advice
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Larry offers some good forums for getting information on these items. While you're here, though, you might poke around a bit in some other parts of the saloon -- the 1050 forum only covers Outlaw's 1050 receiver. The "Outlaw Saloon" is operated by Outlaw Audio for their customers and potential customers; you will find that about 99% of the activity here is individuals like yourself sharing ideas, experiences, questions, and answers. There have been some very useful and in-depth discussions of different display types in the "Outlaw to Outlaw" and the "New Product Suggestions" areas -- some discussions of rear vs. front projection, DLP, LCD, and the like. It won't answer all of your questions, but it should help you some in determining what display is best for you. You may also be able to toss out specific questions and get some good answers.

As for components, you will find that the most common brand mentioned here is Outlaw Audio, since it's there forum, but there are some other products kicked around too. Some people who have shopped for receivers in the under-$1000 range have preferred Outlaw's Model 1050, but some others have preferred some of Marantz's mid- to high-end receivers. I've personally had mixed luck with HK's CD changers, but had excellent luck with Yamaha's receivers (a pro-logic model from ~'97) and CD changers. Outlaw's Model 950 pre/pro is an excellent value if you are looking at separates, as are the different amps in their line-up. If you are going for "minimum visibility" you may be thinking about a stand-alone receiver, but I'd suggest considering separates (the amp or amps can always be concealed as long as they get good ventilation). As for DVD players, I personally have had good luck with Panasonic's players. Sony, Toshiba, and Pioneer are also usually well-regarded. Changers offer a little more convenience, but traditionally it's been considered better to go with a single-disc player for best quality.

Speakers are to a certain degree a personal preference (as with most things in this hobby). The Outlaw Saloon has a section reserved specifically for people to discuss different speakers, and you will often find people with experience with a very wide assortment of brands -- from do-it-yourself gear to Boston Acoustics, Klipsh, Paradigm (which is what I use, and am very happy with), B&W, Mirage, Onix, Atlantic Tech, even a few Martin-Logan users... I haven't heard the Mirage omnipolars, but I think you are most likely to be satisfied with a more traditional design. True "out of sight" design will be difficult to achieve; you probably want a system using bookshelf or satellite speakers all the way around and a good sub. Unfortunately, most good subs will be hard to hide -- a few like the Sunfires (reviewed here ) are small and potent, but most are either small or potent (like the large SVS cylinder subs). Many manufacturers make good bookshelf speakers -- there should be some good shops in St. Louis where you can take some of your favorite CD's or DVD's and try out different brands for an hour or more of serious listening, or even allow you to demonstrate them at home for a few days.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM