Oop... We are talking about different things. Let's see if we can clarify this a bit.

I send both audio and video through my 950 (and previously my 1050), whereas you are not using the video switching currently. There's nothing wrong with that -- in fact, the simpler the signal path, the better. An RG6 "coax" cable (the cable that comes out of the wall and is used between satellite dishes and satellite set-top boxes) should not be connected to the 1050 -- your receiver does not have an input that supports it.

My arrangement (substituting a 1050 for the 950 that I currently have, as otherwise it's basically the same):

AUDIO:
  • VCR to 1050 with analog audio
  • 1050 to VCR with analog audio (for recording)
  • cable to 1050 with analog audio
  • cable to 1050 with coaxial digital audio (almost never use, since most of the channels don't include a digital audio signal, but the cable's there for when/if I want to use it)
  • CD player to 1050 with optical digital cable
  • DVD player to 1050 with optical digital cable
  • DVD player to 1050 with (6) analog audio cables for DVD-Audio playback only since the DVD-Audio signal has to be decoded inside the player

VIDEO (which you aren't doing currently and don't need to do):
  • VCR to 1050 with S-Video
  • 1050 to VCR with S-Video
  • digital cable box to 1050 with S-Video
  • DVD player to 1050 with S-Video
  • 1050 to TV with S-Video (1050 switches between the different video sources depending on which input is selected and passes the active source along to the TV set, so all I ever do is just turn the TV on and off)

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review