Well, I got the sub (Velodyne VR-1200, 130 wpc continuous, 195 watts peak, 12 inch speaker with rear port) a couple nights ago and hooked it up yesterday to the Outlaw RR2150 100 wpc receiver with my Polk Monitor 70s (rated 275 wpc, each speaker has one 1 inch tweeter, two 6.5 inch midrange, and two 6.5 inch bass).

It made a world of difference on any type of music with a central bass melody.

The odd thing is, I had to boost the below-55-Hz signal by 6 dB coming from my Outlaw receiver's subwoofer output to get the sub to respond adequately, plus turn the sub volume all the way up. I think there was some kind of input level mis-match. Thank god the Outlaw RR2150 has this rather atypical control, which boosts all frequencies below a selected threshold (55, 65, 80 Hz) by exactly 6 dB. I found out that this boost is applied simultaneously both to the speaker mains (A, B, A+B) and to the subwoofer output.

I also tried playing with the Receiver's subwoofer filter (dividing the mains versus sub outputs at selected crossovers of 60, 80, or 100 Hz or else full spectrum to both mains and sub output). Also tried playing with the subwoofer's internal crossover filter (ranging from 60 to 120 Hz) and also the sub amp's volume control.

I ended up with subwoofer's internal amp at full volume and the receiver bass boost at +6 dB for below 55Hz, and the subwoofer's internal crossover about 100 Hz and the receiver's crossover at 60 Hz.

Don't ask me why, I just tried all possible combinations and this is just what seemed to work best. The 80 Hz crossover point on the RR2150 sent too much signal to the sub, leaving the main speaks a bit too high and shallow sounding, and with the sub output sounding a bit muddy because I suspect it has much higher distortion in a 12 inch speaker at 80 Hz compared to the Polk Audio 6.5 inch speakers. Also, changing the crossover on the sub to a higher level caused a little bit of poor quality upper bass with a muddy sound, probably because of unwanted harmonics being reproduced poorly by the sub. And turning off the 55 Hz-and-below bass boost on the RR2150 made the sub barely audible. Same thing with turning down the sub internal volume below the range of 75% to 100% volume - I just couldn't hear it. Perhaps the inputs levels are not high enough, but I would think the RR2150 wouldn't have that problem, when dealing with an experienced subwoofer manufacturer such as Velodyne, even though this was one of their lower end models.

ONE QUESTION -- Has anyone ever experienced a brand new subwoofer out of the box to need a few minutes of listening time just to "break in" to start kicking out the volume? I swear when I first plugged it in, all of the different settings I tried hardly worked until it had been on quite a while.