Quote:
Originally posted by tru blu:
Are you out there, Vinyl Addict? Now I'm curious about the Von Schweikerts in your reference system. What model are they? Interestingly enough, I just read that Von S's entry-level line—the VR-1s that I was initially interested in and a few others—were recently discontinued. And from the looks of the products page on the site, it looks like their price points now start at close to $6K and move up from there. Talk about all or nothing...

Btw: Did those NHTs arrive yet?
NHT's should be here on Tuesday along with some cabling from Zu that will complete the system.

I heard, too, that the VR-1s were being discontinued. That's a real shame - they are fine speakers and allowed a lot of people to hear the Von Schweikert sound. I've got a pair of VR-4JRs in my main system.

Not to discourage you, but the difference between the NHTs you have and the VR-1s would be negligible at best is my suspicion. I'll have a better idea once I have the Classic Threes hooked up, but, knowing NHT I'm betting it would be a draw.

One thing concerning Von Schweikert is they are VERY detailed speakers. What I mean by that is that you WILL hear every nuance of your system... the good, the bad AND the ugly! I've learned over the years that this is not always a good thing - this goes back to my love for mid-fi systems I was talking about above.

The reference system is amazing on exceptionally recorded works (some jazz, some exceptional rock - Dark Side of the Moon, etc.) but I can tell you that I'll spend more time listening to music on the 2150 / NHT combo. I've got a love for all things related to 70's hard rock (Rush, Sabbath, Guess Who, Bang, etc.) and most of it is not recorded in what would be called "audiophile" mode!
Outlaw RR2150 Receiver · KAB-mod'd SL1200MK2 Turntable · AudioTechnica AT-440MLa & AT-130E Cartridges · Tascam CD-RW900 CD Recorder · Lite DAC-AH DAC · DB Systems Subsonic Filter · KEF IQ-3 Monitors · Outlaw LFM-2 Subwoofer · AudioQuest Cables