Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3130 - 12/05/02 09:36 AM HK DVD 50 or others?
joenash Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: fairfax station, va
Looking at a Harmon Kardon DVD 50 refurbished at Harmon Audio for $388 (normal retail is $600).

What do you think about the DVD 50 for the $. Would you recommend another DVD?

Thanks

#3131 - 12/05/02 04:55 PM Re: HK DVD 50 or others?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I'm Sorry not familar with this one. Is it progressive? SACD or DVD-A capable? What are your needs?

My best refurb was a Sony Trinitron PC screen when they were sky high...using it too this day. If it comes with an equal to brand new warranty. I would also consider a refurb...why not...its been checked (whoopsi) and then so to speak carefuly rechecked. Floor demos' I consider more carefuly, where they run..how many hours etc.

#3132 - 12/05/02 11:34 PM Re: HK DVD 50 or others?
sfw Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: IL, USA
I bought an HK DVD 50 refurb on line without a hitch. At the time it was the only DVD that I could find having a changer, playing MP3 disks and progressive scan. Anyway, it works as advertised and worked flawlessly with the 1050 using an Outlaw PDO.

On the down side I wasn't able to get the 1050's remote to control the DVD 50. As to the DVD 50, itself, it has a few annoyances:

(1) Its operations is a bit on the slow. It take a while to read a disk and discover its type. I have no other experience, though, so it may be just like others.

(2) During some operations, it cannot be interrupted. This makes for poor feedback when using the remote (you're left wondering if it received the command or just ignored it).

(3) By default, it doesn't play all the discs loaded. You have to set it to repeat across all discs to get to play the next disk automatically when one finishes.

(4) The MP3 disk support is just barely usable and has been confused by some MP3s.

(5) (For me the worst since it seems like it would have been simple to fix) It cannot display the amount of time left on a DVD. This feature works fine for CDs, but not for DVDs.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics