Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3120 - 12/04/02 04:29 PM Re: new 1050 experimentation... running sat/subs as large?
leeep Offline
Gunslinger

hi all,

hooked everything back up the "old" way last night... receiver -> sats (set as small), LFE -> sub, etc. i left everything else the same.

immediate and very noticeable reduction in bass output. i had to turn the gain on the sub back up again to fill out the bottom end.

very interesting behavior... it's almost like the bass output is doubled when you do the alternative setup using the sub's internal crossover input/output.

i'd love to hear an explanation why/how this is occurring...

thanks all!

-e

#3121 - 12/04/02 05:35 PM Re: new 1050 experimentation... running sat/subs as large?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You probably are getting some bass doubling when you put the sub in-line with the mains and hook it up to the LFE output, since you're getting the amplified signal from the mains' output plus the line-level input from the LFE output. (I'm not entirely sure how the signal path works in that scenario -- where the high-level input would "merge" with the internally amplified line-level signal -- but the two have to be mixing somewhere for the "two connections" method to work, probably immediately downstream of the sub's internal amp...)

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3122 - 12/05/02 04:08 PM Re: new 1050 experimentation... running sat/subs as large?
leeep Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
You probably are getting some bass doubling when you put the sub in-line with the mains and hook it up to the LFE output, since you're getting the amplified signal from the mains' output plus the line-level input from the LFE output.

yeah, it's almost like you get the main-channel bass output + the LFE output in an additive combination, resulting in 2x the bass amplitude...

it would seem weird to simply superimpose the two signals giving a "double-amplitude" result versus merging the two, but i'm not an expert in signal processing...

thanks!

-e

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics