Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3090 - 11/23/02 10:48 AM One more time: "B" speaker hookup (long)
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
I am new to the list, but I know this subject has been previously addressed. Sorry for the duplication, but I still need some very specific directions.

I have a throughout-the-house-and-outdoor speaker system that is separate from my HT system. Previously, these extra speakers were hooked into the "B" terminal of my receiver. Now, with my 1050, I don't have that option.

I have an older Yamaha 2 channel amp, and in previous posts others have written that such an amp could be used for extra speakers by hooking it to the 1050 preamp outputs. Specifically, what goes where? I assume I use only the L/R output from the 1050 (leaving the other outputs empty) to (for example) the L/R Aux. input on my Yamaha.

Once this is done, and assuming I don't blow anything up, what are the consequences? Can I somehow select only my HT speakers or select only my extra speakers? How do I do this? Must I turn on the 2d amp even if I don't wish to listen to the extra speakers? Are there any negatives to doing this?

TIA for any help. Hope I can somehow repay the list for the "adult supervision" provided.

------------------
Michael Stano

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

#3091 - 11/23/02 11:31 AM Re: One more time: "B" speaker hookup (long)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
To connect the Yamaha 2-channel amp to the 1050, you would go from the left and right preamp outputs (far right when looking at the back, labeled PREAMP OUT) to the left and right inputs of the Yamaha. If the Yamaha is a receiver, you can use which ever input you want (Aux., CD, Tape, VCR, whatever...).

How will this work? The 1050's volume control works for both the 1050's amps (driving your home theater speakers) and the preamp outputs (which will be going to your Yamaha). That means that the home theater speakers will always play the source selected, but the extra speakers will only work when the Yamaha is turned on. Also, if the Yamaha is a receiver (or an amp with a gain control), you will want to find a volume setting that works well and leave it there.

Another thought, if you wanted to be able to use the extra speakers but not the home theater speakers -- I don't know if it would work because I haven't tried it, but if the Yamaha is a receiver (because we'll need a colume control for this) you could connect the Yamaha to the tape out of the 1050. That way, the Yamaha's volume control would handle the extra speakers and the 1050's volume could be turned down to zero if you didn't want to hear the home theater speakers. It's dependent on the tape output bypassing the volume control in the 1050, which I think is the case.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3092 - 11/24/02 09:15 AM Re: One more time: "B" speaker hookup (long)
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
You should use the tape out instead of the preamp out as in Gonk's last suggestion. First off, the tape out is line level without any gain. This will work much better and match the input better on the Yamaha. Second, this will give you independent volume controls. Use the Outlaw's control for the main set, and the Yamaha for all the rest. You could mute the Outlaw and still have output from the others.

#3093 - 11/24/02 05:54 PM Re: One more time: "B" speaker hookup (long)
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
Gonk & Zacster: You guys are terrific!

I did an experimental hookup from Record Out on the Outlaw to Aux. In on the Yamaha, and it worked just as you said it would. Now, all that is left is to disassemble and reassemble my gear (no easy task, given I must do it in layers, piece by piece, with no access to the back) and start enjoying. I am really indebted for your help.

The Outlaw will replace a Yamaha 5250 which is going to the bedroom for a second HT. The old Yamaha 2 channel was in the bedroom and was destined for the attic or eBay. Using the 2 channel with the Outlaw will keep it in play, which I like a lot.

Again, THANKS!! This has been a great introduction to the Outlaw forum.

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

#3094 - 11/24/02 06:13 PM Re: One more time: "B" speaker hookup (long)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Excellent! Glad we could help.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics