Quote:
Originally posted by wingnut4772:
Oh yes. I have actually been running some tests since my post.

I tried setting the cross over higher to transfer more of the power requirement to the sub amps. With each step(60,80,100,120) there was less distortion at -25db.

Then I disconnected my rear surrounds (Polk Lci) and played my throw down demo scene ( Amidala's ship exploding in AOTC). This time the explosion was as I remembered it with no distortion. I am afraid to test it at anything higher than -20 though for fear of damaging my speakers.

Can I alleviate some power sucking on my 770 by putting a couple of monoblocks on the LSIfx's? I like to play my HT at -15 on average so I may just need some extra juice. That 770 runs wicked hot also with all those 4 ohm vampires.
I doubt that monoblocks will help because unless your amp is defective, it's not your amp. It's either your room, pre/pro, or speakers. The 770 can supply 300WPC into 4 Ohms.

Suggestions:

1. Calibrate your speakers

2. Go to http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html and calculate the peak watts needed for each speaker to supply your desired SPL at the listening position. As an example, if you like to listen at -10 (this is 75 dB, with 95 dB peaks), you want to adjust the watts on the calculator until the speaker dB is 95.

3. Add up all the watts for all speakers calculated in step 3.

4. Post your watt results to us.

I am willing to bet that each channel of the 770 will supply less than 100W to each of your speakers... clearly waaaaay less than the 770 is capable of. You may want to "rent" a receiver from Circuit City or Best Buy to use as a pre/pro for some serious testing just to eliminate your current pre/pro as the source of your problem.

-T