Quote:
For instance, at the beginning of Shrek 3 in the dinner theater scene, all of the dialog is in the center and I hear nothing. Switching 950 to the coaxial 1 brings up the disk’s Dolby 3/2. I realize that is all the DVD has but it seems to me it should also be available from the 6 bypass analogs.
When you are using the 6CH input on the Model 950, the Model 950 isn't doing any processing. I recall that there is a quirk on the Model 950's 6CH input: if I remember this correctly, it acts as a stereo source if the 950 had been in a purely stereo mode previously. If you have it on an input that is in a surround mode (any mode will do - Dolby 5.1, Pro Logic II, Cirrus Extra Surround, or 5 Stereo) and then change to the 6CH input, it will work fine. It's been a few years since I had a 950 around, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.
Quote:
I’ll have to fiddle with that; the inputs scroll through all but the 6. There is a bypass button I use with my phono preamp but it doesn’t report the 6, just stereo.
I thought we were talking about the Model 990. The bypass button on the front of the Modle 950 is "stereo bypass" - no use for the 6CH input. The 6CH input is a toggle of sorts on the 950, as reading the manual has reminded me, and it doesn't appear to be anywhere on the front panel...