Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28492 - 09/11/06 08:20 AM Stereo w/ Sub Problem
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS
I've read through a few posts on this topic and saw that you have to have the 950 set to small up front and the sub on to get this to work, but that's not even working for me. I can't get the sub to work in Stereo mode, unless I have it on 5 or 7 channel stereo. What I'm trying to do is calibrate just the sub, so I wanted it set to stereo, and unplug the fronts (easer to do than all 5 speakers). Is there any other settings that you know of that could be keeping this from working? Was there ever a known issue with this not working properly and maybe I got one too early (at least 3 years old)? The only thing that I have set different than some maybe is that I have the analog bass management switch on the back turned off because I have an ICBM between the DVD player and the 950.

Just looking for possible solutions...I'm not at home to call Tech Support yet.

Thanks,
Rick

#28493 - 09/11/06 09:34 AM Re: Stereo w/ Sub Problem
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The first thing that occurs to me is to make sure that you have the crossover for the fronts set high enough that the source material you're listening to will contain anything below the crossover point - a lot of music doesn't dip that low. A good test might be my Devious Tiny Disc or any other test tone source that starts at 20Hz and works its way up from there. If you're noticing output when in 5/7 Stereo modes, than either your center and surrounds have higher crossover points or the signal below the crossover points is too low and it requires duplicating the signal a couple times to generate enough volume to register.

#28494 - 09/11/06 12:49 PM Re: Stereo w/ Sub Problem
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Gonk....long time... smile

The source material is definitely low enough. It's a subwoofer calibration disc with tones from 16hz to 120hz. It's the oddest thing, I can't get anything from the subs until I make it 5 or 7 channel stereo, and then I had to disconnect all of the other speakers to do the calibration. I read on the forums that as long as they crossover is high enough (mine at 80hz) and the outlaw is set to Stereo and the speakers are small, it should work. I get nothing. I don't understand why. I believe that the other speakers are crossed over differently...but not sure where...it would be at least 80hz or higher.

#28495 - 09/11/06 01:05 PM Re: Stereo w/ Sub Problem
gonk Offline
Desperado

Weird... If the fronts are small, you should have no trouble getting a signal to the sub. You might try tinkering with your front crossover to see what impact (if any) that has. It shouldn't matter, but we're dealing with an odd case...

#28496 - 09/11/06 01:27 PM Re: Stereo w/ Sub Problem
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

I'll try again when I get home...and I'll call the support folks. I didn't think it would be good to call when I wasn't in front of it. I didn't want to have to upgrade this unit until after the new HD DSP's were released in one of their newer units.

Thx though Gonk!

#28497 - 09/11/06 02:19 PM Re: Stereo w/ Sub Problem
gonk Offline
Desperado

Best of luck, Incog - I think this is something that can get sorted out with a little tinkering

#28498 - 09/12/06 08:48 AM Re: Stereo w/ Sub Problem
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Incognito,

What is your source into the 950? Is it your DVD player (with ICBM in the middle) or a CD player? Are you going analog or digital? Unless you're using the 6 CH Direct input, the switch on the back shouldn't have an effect.

Bill

#28499 - 09/12/06 10:32 AM Re: Stereo w/ Sub Problem
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

I'm sending audio from DVD player though optical to the 950. The ICBM is only in the middle for analog outputs with SACD.

I read a bit this morning and it seems there might be an issue with the equipment I'm using for sub correction (RDES). Some have stated that they don't get audio to their sub without some cycling of the unit. I will disconnect it and hook the subs directly to the 950 and see if my stereo setting works. I hope it's not a stupid issue like that, that I didn't come up with before taking up your time....LOL!

I'll let you all know....thanks for the help.

#28500 - 09/12/06 12:35 PM Re: Stereo w/ Sub Problem
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've also heard about some problems with RDES "muting" somehow. That's likely to be the culprit - was there a solution aside from cycling the RDES module? How's the RDES work for you, by the way?

#28501 - 09/12/06 01:04 PM Re: Stereo w/ Sub Problem
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk,

I honestly haven't gotten around to trying to fix this issue yet. I had my son last night, and he likes to try to help me solve problems and it takes a lot longer. LOL smile

I will try the things we talked about this week (probably wednesday). I did plot the room response of my two LFM-1's though. It was as horrific as I thought it might be given the room is untreated. I have some big peaks around 40hz. The db's jump about 10db then come back down and peak again around 65-70hz. I love my subs...I demoed the UFW-12 and just didn't like it. I'm mainly home theater and the LFM-1's are perfect for me...especially at the price. I haven't quite tried to correct the peaks yet. I'm having an issue with the CD and the test tones too. My Denon didn't see one of the tracks...and I'm not sure which one it skipped. LOL smile

An automatic calibration like the one you have, that is sold here, would be nice I think. With the RDES you have to type in your numbers, and it plots the room curve for you, and then while looking at that, you have to go into the other piece of software and try to create the inverse of it. If it plotted the room response in the same piece of software, doing it manually wouldn't be as "interesting". I'll be sure to let you know how it goes after I give it more of a whirl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 268 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM