I just completed a DIY sub and I'm testing the response using an SPL meter and "Room EQ Wizard" software. It's pretty cool to move your sub around the room and see how it affects the frequency response curve.

Anyway, I experimented with both the digital and analog crossovers in the 950, and graphed the sub's response curve. This is with the mains unplugged, so "double bass" is not a factor here.

Here are the two (disappointing) observations:

1) The analog crossover is not at 80 as claimed, but is more like 120. It looks like signal sent to the sub has a high pass at about 120, and the mains' signal has a low pass at about 110. This is way too high for my setup.

2) The bass signal when using analog crossover is boosted 5 DB relative to the bass signal when using the digital crossover. This is clearly audible when listening to music. This means if I want to switch from the CD input to the 6-channel input, I need to reduce the subwoofer trim by 5 DB to avoid having overpowering bass.

I ordered an external crossover (paradigm x-30) so I hope will solve my probem. I will tell the 950 that I have no sub, and the x-30 will pull out the lower frequencies. My preliminary experiments suggest that the LFE is blended into the mains at the proper volume.

I noticed a profesional review of the 970 mention that the crossover was higher than 80 as well. I wonder why outlaw does this, and whether it affects the 990 as well.

Other than this issue I like the 950, and I'm really happy with the 7125.