Q-man: For TV, dish (cable), and VHS - Prologic II is a nice improvement over Prologic. You get a much better surround/stereo effect with PLII (see www.dolby.com). The same holds true for music. While Prologic and a couple other modes (DSPs) are decent for music on the 1050, I think others in this forum have found the stereo mode the best (Outlaw comments?). Again, I think Prologic II is a great improvement over Prologic for music. When you play a DVD, Prologic and Prologic II are not needed. That's when the digital 5.1 and 6.1 modes come into play.

I agree that TV programs have gotten graphic - sex and violence sells. Even the prime time comedies are based on sexual inuendos. Life imitates art you know.

As far as DVD, my $179 got me a very nice player with DVD-Audio included (no progressive scan). For $100 to $150 you'll probably find a nice player for your immediate needs. I'm still mostly a TV/VHS guy. Toshiba, Panasonic, and others make good players.

I hope this helps. If you can pull it off, a side by side receiver comparison is the best.
MD