Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2813 - 09/12/02 03:50 PM Rear surrounds and Avia HT setup DVD
Neuro Geek Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Rochester, NY
So I just received my new 1050 two days ago and have been setting things up and enjoying the heck out of it.

I had an issue during setup though. I was trying to use the Avia DVD to set the speaker levels, and the two rear surrounds didn't differentiate between "right" and "left": I heard the tones at equal levels through both of the surrounds at once. When I used the test tones built into the receiver, they tested correctly. I own few DVDs, and I don't know off the top of my head what disc/scene to test with (any suggestions?). I just want to be able to tell if it's an oddity with my particular 1050 or if it's a problem with the DVD player or DVD itself.

Also, there's a big difference in dB level between the receiver LFE test tone and the one on the Avia disc.

I'm pretty sure I have the receiver set correctly (DVD, surround mode, coax digital in). My DVD player is a Toshiba 5700 (in case you're curious, fronts are Paradigm Mini-monitors, CC-170 center, ADP-170 surrounds, PDR-10 LFE).

Any thoughts? Other than the above issue, I'm loving this receiver! Simple to use, Sounds great!

Andy

#2814 - 09/12/02 03:57 PM Re: Rear surrounds and Avia HT setup DVD
Scott Offline
Desperado

It sounds as though you were playing the Avia disc in Pro-Logic. Be sure that your DVD player is set to output a DD bit-stream as opposed to just PCM signals.

#2815 - 09/12/02 04:48 PM Re: Rear surrounds and Avia HT setup DVD
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I had the same problem with the LFE difference. I eventually lowered the LFE by about 4db based on the AVIA tones. This may be due to the RS meters calibration being off in the low frequency. If one tone is at a lower frequency than the other, the lower freq will read lower in volume on the meter, even though its the same SPL.

If you measure things using different inputs, you'll get different results, especially in the home environment. You just don't have enough control.

#2816 - 09/12/02 10:09 PM Re: Rear surrounds and Avia HT setup DVD
Neuro Geek Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Rochester, NY
That was it! I switched to bitstream and it's fine now. Thanks a lot!

I suspected that differences in bass tone frequencies would account for the difference in sound pressure levels. Unfortunately my lack of perfect pitch left me unable to tell which tone was lower . Anyway, thanks again for the help!

andy

#2817 - 09/13/02 04:12 PM Re: Rear surrounds and Avia HT setup DVD
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I can do it. Just hum both tones for me and I'll tell you which was lower.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM