Hello Everyone,
It's been awhile since I've posted because I 'defected' from Outlaw and went with Aragon. I'm enjoying that unit very much, but that's not why I'm writing.
I too wanted digital out from my Dish. I orginally got the basic receiver that most everyone gets at startup. The 301 with analog audio only. It didn't bother me until I started getting into HT in a serious way (about a year ago). Like a bolt out of the blue, it hit me one day-'Hey, I'm getting a digital downlink, why don't I just run that into my 1050 (then) and decode it! I'm a little slow sometimes. Well, I checked the back of my satellite box and no digital out. This started a three month search of my options. I found that with Dish, in order to have digital output, you have to purchase the 500 series dual LNB dish and the 501 PVR receiver. The 501 is a personal video recorder (TiVo type) that allows you to do magical things with 'live' tv. (i.e. pause, rewind, auto-record, etc.) It's like having a VCR always recording with an endless tape supply and easy one-button programming. I figured that this was for me! I had no idea how hard it would be to find one of these receivers. I contacted Dish and was informed that I had to go through a local vendor for the unit. Also, that I could try Radio Shack and Sears. I started calling around and found that the receivers were in very short supply and that I could get on a waiting list. I asked one of the vendors to call me when one came in. I checked Radio Shack and they said that they didn't handle the PVR 501, try Sears. I went to Sears. The only 501 that they had was packaged with a 500 series dish kit. the kit was only $20.00 more than the best quote that I had gotten for a 501 by itself, so rather than deal with anymore hassle, I bought it. It is a wonderful product manufactured by JVC. It's very cool to be able to pause 'live' tv to handle other 'business'. I highly recommend it if you can find one. Anyone need a 500 series dual LNB dish complete with splitters etc?
A post script to this ramble:
I received a letter from a collection agency yesterday concerning a purchase from Sky Beam Communications, San Marcos, CA, for a 501 receiver! (Remember the vendor I called?) I never purchased a receiver from these goons, nor was I ever invoiced or had any communication other than the one phone call! Talk about fraud. Yes, all of the pertinant legal letters go out Monday. The agency, my attorney, etc. Nothing but fun.
All this for a digital output. I love this hobby!
I'm glad y'all are finally getting your 950's. About time. If you want to go a step up, I highly recommend Aragon. It sounds and functions fantastically.
Until next time,
Mix