Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
I wouldn't use BL to tell control as it's really more indicative of the motor strength. Just using the printed value won't tell you anything about what happens when the sub starts moving. It's the BL vs x curve that you want. Some fall off incredibly fast while only moving a couple mm. Some will have a wider curve keeping control with much greater excursion. Subs with XBL^2 technology for example. They're BL is about half that of a Digital Designs sub, but the Xmax is several times greater. This means the sound will be much more consistant with increasing excursion, be it from lower frequency and/or more excursion.

The tightness also has a good deal to do with the installation quality. This also goes with the setup in the room. Just saying that stereo or mono is better is not really the best way to do it. The subs in question are already built, so everything has to do with the placement and setup in the room. Take some time and try them out in the different configurations. Spend the whole afternoon if you want. There's no rush and you really can't get a good feel for it with 10 seconds of listening. smile
Only look at the xmax and maximum excursion value is useless. xmax is the length of a driver can move inward and outward and still be under controlled by the driver’s motor. Maximum excursion is the “extreme” distance a driver can move, but no longer under controlled by its motor. If you push the cone to the maximum excursion length, I bet you will recone your driver very soon……

More xmax only gives you more sound output and you need to use very powerful amps (over 1000 W I think) along with very big liter boxes (to move air) to push the driver in order to have very high sound pressure level. I can archive the same thing by simply choosing a high sensitivity drivers with less xmax value and drive it with smaller amps and still save some cash.

Fs, Qts and Vas are the three most important values you need to know when choosing the drivers. A driver with a very high BL value usually gives good speed, accuracy and fidelity; it is also ideal for horn box. This kind of driver tends to have low Qts value, which relates to speed and accuracy. Small driver usually will have low Qts value.

What kind of driver do you have anyway???? I am interested to know.