Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#26205 - 06/30/04 09:56 PM Panamax vs. Richard Gray
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake mary, fl, USA
I have the Panamx 5500 and was wondering how it compared to one of the comparable Richard Gray units? Anyone out there got any comments or useful comparison data? I have two local shops and of course neither sell both, only one or the other. You can guess what how those coversations have been going.

Connected to the 5500:
(2) Model 200s
(1) Outlaw 950
(1) Samsung DVD
(1) Denon DVD
(1) Samsung HDTV Monitor
(1) Huges Sat Rcvr
(1) Samsunt HDTV Sat Rvcr
(1) Toshiba Laptop
(1) Anthem 5 Channel amp
(nothing in the front outlet)

Thanks for any feedback - the good kind!!

PhatLac

------------------
phatlac

#26206 - 07/01/04 01:45 AM Re: Panamax vs. Richard Gray
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I had 2 RGPC 400s's.

I tried hooking them up to my system all digital in one, all analog in the other, and then all audio vs all video (as best I could divide my components up those ways, anyways). Personally, I didn't see or hear squat for any kind of improvement. And then I talked to one of my EE friends, and he said the only way an inductor can influence the signal, is if it's wired in series. The RGPCs are in parallel.

I then got a balanced power unit (I have Equitech, but there's also Furman, BPT, Monster 7000, the Panamax 5510, etc), and *then* I got improvement. (Primarily a lower noise floor, and a cleaner video signal.) But if you don't have "dirty" AC to begin with, no power conditioner in the world is going to do anything.

The Exactpower boxes are also kind of interesting.

Lots of reviews at Secrets. But just like anything, your system is entirely different from mine, which necessitates the common disclaimer: YMMV.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited July 01, 2004).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#26207 - 07/01/04 07:14 AM Re: Panamax vs. Richard Gray
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake mary, fl, USA
Thanks Kevin C Brown.

I really appreciate the feedback. My power is 'okay' which is the norm in Florida. The big risk is the mid-day thunder storms during the summer. I am concerned that a lightening strike may get me one of these days.

I also noticed an improvement in my video signal on multiple TVs, especially the Samsung HLN50 - after plugging in the Panamax about a year or so ago.

BTW, how does one measure the 'noise' on there power feed? Just wondering.

PhatLac

#26208 - 07/02/04 01:21 AM Re: Panamax vs. Richard Gray
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Here's how I "measure" noise floor:

Set the 950 to an analog input (tuner, lp, cassette, etc). Play something to disengage the digital muting on the 950. Now stop the source. Pick whatever volume setting on the 950 at which you want to compare. Now, put your ear up to the tweeter of one speaker. You might have to move your head around a little, but you should be able to hear some hiss, even if really, really faint. Then, do whatever change you want to do, and repeat the whole process. Best way I've found to check for noise floor.

You can even turn off everything but your power amp(s), and do the test too. This just checks the noise floor of your amps (with the speakers).

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited July 03, 2004).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#26209 - 07/07/04 01:56 AM Re: Panamax vs. Richard Gray
Detroit Radio Knight Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Pontiac,Mi. U.S.A.
Here's my $.02 worth. Go to: www.Brickwall.com and take a look at their very reasonably priced audio gear protectors. Everyone in Florida should have one. (or two)
Michael.

"Hey, they don't call us DJ's anymore!"

#26210 - 07/10/04 09:24 PM Re: Panamax vs. Richard Gray
Donzo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Bartlett, IL USA
Just bought 2 Brickwalls from the website. Their approach to surge protection makes sense to a mere mechanical guy. I've seen the power fluctuate around here (Chicago far West 'burbs) and I don't like the idea of leaving my investment unprotected.

-don

Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM