Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I've done some digging through two manuals (the P-965 manual that Garrett kindly provided and the Denon 3805), just to satisfy my curiousity. In both cases, the only OSD that is available via component video is the setup menu - OSD overlays are not available. There is an exception (and it appears to apply to both units): s-video and composite video inputs viewed from the component monitor output will retain the overlay. This makes sense, as the overlay is added to the signals before they are converted to component. This also fits Shawnb16's findings, as I would expect the upconversion to component to be at 480i.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this. In fact, I'd worry more if they were overlaying OSD data on a component video input.

gonk, you are correct. that is what my unit does. i could have said that yesterday, but i thought the guy was saying it wouldnt show hd or progressive scan from component at all, silly me. their is no osd overlay when watching high quality signals, only when watching lower ones converted up. osd is pretty useless except for at setup, so i think its a good idea to take it off instead of degrade the signal.