Very nice speaker choices.

I'd try those Martin Logans (rated down to 22k, by the way) at either a 40k or 60k crossover. Just see which one gives you the bass response that pleases you the most. Listen -- for instance -- to the musicality of a bass line and determine which has the most presence and is easier to identify the actual pitch of the notes. Go with that setting. (I use 60k with my NHT 2.5's)

I'd experiment between 60-100K settings for your center and surround. In my experience, dialog tracks are a bit clearer with an 80-100K crossover on the center.

For the surrounds, in my experience a lower crossover (60K) will provide more body and fullness because it places more upper bass in those speakers. However, it can get a little claustrophobic and tiring in some setups. (I use the standard 80k.)

Higher surround crossovers (80-100K) tend to provide a more open, airy sound in the surround tracks but settings above the "standard" 80K can provide a bit less impact throughout the room when crap blows up. (I suspect part of this is actually more related to psychoacoustics than actual frequency response.)

In any case, the really low (generally synthesized) movie bass effects will reliably go to the subwoofer.

The other thing that is worth tweaking "to taste" is the surround delay. Initially set them for the actual footage measurements in your room and then play around with the center and surround distances.

A bit of difference in the center channel may tend to "dial in" the clarity of the dialog track.

Setting the surround distances to lower numbers will tend to give a sense of more open space but can eventually get too reverberant-like and disconnect the front-to-back imaging. Longer surround distances will tighten up the soundfield, sometimes increase the overall impact of the sound, but -- when overdone -- can make it hard to make out the surround content.

There are no "rules" here -- contrary to what some will claim. It's all a matter of personal taste combined with the acoustical properties of your speakers, your room, and your spatial setup.

In fact, when movies are mixed, they don't use any surround delay at all other than the natural acoustical delay of the mixing stage.

The RS meter has a deficiency in the bass response that is well documented. You'll want to adjust the bass response a bit higher (5-10db) than your other speakers to get it right. And at that point, "season to taste." If you want more or less bass, just do it.

And have fun! That's what it's all about.

Bob

PS -- I see you're in Sarasota. Back in 1979 I played the Van Wezel Performing Arts center when I was conducting a tour of a Gilbert and Sullivan show. I loved stepping out of the stage door between acts and seeing the gulf.

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited March 15, 2004).]