Some people have done this (I've seen it mentioned here a time or two, although I forget who had such a setup), but in general it is not cost effective. Most PC battery backups will not likely sustain an amp for very long, and I don't think that they are typically sized to handle high current loads. The APC units that you'll find most places(and their usual competitors) are probably not well suited to supporting a home theater amp. Larger TV's (especially big tubes) may also overwhelm UPS's intended for small PC's. The other devices (pre/pro, DVD player, etc.) would be fine.

To give you an idea of what a UPS should be able to provide to support the equipment you want to connect to it, you can look at the unit's VA (volt-amp) rating and the power consumption of your connected equipment (typically listed in watts). The different units can be equated by converting watts to VA with the equation W = VA x power factor. Power factor will probably range from 0.7 to 0.9 in most cases (it cannot exceed 1.0). The maximum power consumption for the 770 or 755 is 1800W, or probably around 1500VA. Therefore to safely support an amp like the 770 or 755 with a UPS, the UPS will need to be rated at 1500VA -- which is not a cheap UPS. The 950, by comparison, consumes no more than 45W, which is typical of a component like a pre/pro, CD player, DVD player, VCR, or game console. TV's will probably have a maximum power consumption of 200W-500W, although it will depend heavily on the TV in question of course.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review