If the 5900's Bass Management (BM) is the same as the 2900's (I think it is), then I recommend getting a DVD-A calibration disc such as the one from Chesky. You can use this disc to calibrate both the digital (Dolby and DTS) and analog (DVD-A and SACD) connections.

When using the test tones in the Denon, I had to attenuate the five main speakers about 6 to 8 dB in order to get them to match the subwoofer. You can use the BM in the Denon or the switch on the back of the Outlaw, but don't use both. Also, make sure that when you switch to the 6CH Direct on the Outlaw, that you switch from something other than a stereo source. Otherwise, you won't get all the channels.

Keep in mind that the Denon's BM and speaker settings are not used if you are watching movies through the digital audio output. You should be able to dial in good movie sound by using only the Outlaw's BM and channel settings. You should not have to change the Outlaw's settings to get bass out of the 6CH Direct. That is all in the Denon.

[This message has been edited by DollarBill (edited February 10, 2004).]