The stereo/surround behavior only affects the six-channel analog input from what I understand, so your cable box is not running into that. When you encounter this problem, what signal does the 950 see? (Dolby 2/0.0 or Dolby 3/2.1, for example -- it appears on the right side of the front panel display for a few seconds when the signal is acquired...)

I'm curious about your digital cable service -- I have Time Warner digital cable (without any premium channels) and have found that in general I get only Dolby Digital 2.0 (not 5.1) on digital channels when I get DD at all. Some channels broadcast in PCM digital rather than DD, while others are analog only (I did switch my Scientific Atlanta box for a Pace box that will convert analog audio to PCM digital so I can use the coax digital audio output on all channels if I want to). Because of all of this, I use Pro Logic II for the Video3 input. In my case, even the channels that provide DD would yield a stereo signal only if I set the 950 to Dolby Digital.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review