i wouldnt necessarily buy anything because its thx certified, however if i had a choice between two models same price, same sound, etc., why not opt for the thx. it proves the product is at least up to their standards, gives you some sound modes. of course the situation above would never happen, so that point is moot. thx as it applies to equipment is not all hype, but some companies opt out of it for cost reasons, and im sure other opt out because their product may not meet specs. with an internet only product, im surprised outlaw didnt opt for it considering word of mouth is there best advertising.... im sure more people would feel comfortable with thx stamped on the product, considering most have not seen or heard it when they order. as far as dvds, thx is gunk, there are a few other dvd standards that give you better quality, superbit is one, but ive seen lots of movies with thx and lots without and i have never seen any difference. i have even seen the same movie with and without and didnt see a difference..... anyway, im gonna invent a certification up to my standards and then sell it. itll be at the consumer level though, so if you feel your equipment isnt up to par id come and verify that for you. lol.. j/k.