Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2429 - 07/06/02 02:37 PM Audio dropouts from optical inputs
J Cat Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston,TX
Both of my optical inputs have terrible audio droputs. I haven't been able to use optical input #1 for months and now input #2 is started to have horrible dropouts as well. I have tried three separate toslink cables and have received the same result. I have also replaced my DVD player, thinking that it was the problem.

I bought my original 1050 in November of 2001 and had to have it replaced in January because of a similar audio dropout problem.

I e-mailed Outlaw yesterday about the problem. I was just wondering if anyone else was having a similar problem. Also wanted to know if anyone alse has had their 1050 replaced more than once in six months.

#2430 - 07/06/02 06:05 PM Re: Audio dropouts from optical inputs
John C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Just curious, you dont have a computer sound card hooked up to the coax digital input, do you? That caused the same problem on my 950.

#2431 - 07/06/02 08:42 PM Re: Audio dropouts from optical inputs
J Cat Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Nope, I'm not using the coax input at all.
And, I don't know if the audio dropout happens using the digital coax input because I have never used it; my DVD player doesn't have a coax output.

Thanks for the suggestion.

#2432 - 07/08/02 02:05 PM Re: Audio dropouts from optical inputs
Bri Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Riverside,CA
I too have been experiencing audio dropouts with my optical inputs. I just purchased my 1050 and had the whole family over on the 4th to show off my new system. Needless to say I was embarrassed with the dropouts. I was able to hook up a coax to my DVD player and the dropouts appeared to stop. This is an unacceptable solution as I need the coax to connect to my digital cable. I thought maybe it was the optical cables but reading your post makes me question that. Any other Ideas?

I guess I'll contact Outlaw.

-Bri

#2433 - 07/08/02 02:42 PM Re: Audio dropouts from optical inputs
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
I've had my 1050 for over 2 years and the only dropouts I've ever experienced were due to incorrectly flagged DDEX discs like Pearl Harbor and Jurassic Park 3 when the 1050 was configured for only 5 speakers. And even for them, there's a work around - configure the 1050 for 6 speakers, even if you don't have a rear center one and the dropouts will cease. And it's been tested, there's no risk to running the 1050 configured this way (set for 6 channels but with only 5 speakers attached).

If this isn't the problem you're having, then the only other idea I have is that perhaps you've got a cracked or broken TOSLink cable?

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#2434 - 07/10/02 12:55 PM Re: Audio dropouts from optical inputs
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J Cat:
[B]Both of my optical inputs have terrible audio droputs.
J Cat,
Did you find the reason for the sound dropouts from outlaw yet?

#2435 - 07/11/02 12:17 AM Re: Audio dropouts from optical inputs
J Cat Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I found the reason for the audio dropouts... It was a bad digital cable after all.

I went a bought a higher quality "Monster" toslink cable, just to make sure, and now everything works perfectly again, It sounds better too.

Hope this might help somebody. Thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM