Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#233 - 09/04/01 08:33 PM have a couple of ?'s about the 1050
sdecker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: New England
Hi all,

I am getting ready to upgrade my receiver(Denon AVR 3200), which lacks DTS processing, and have been looking into the Outlaw 1050.

I do have a few questions about the reciever though:

1. I love the adjustable crossover, is the crossover global or can you set it of each speaker?

2. All of my speakers are 8 ohms, execept for the 6th channel speakers which are 4 ohms. I will want to use a pair for the 6th channel. Will this be OK? I will be powering the mains with a B&K Ref 4420 amp to relieve the receiver of powering the mains.

3. I have noticed that some people are having problems with the receivers ability to switch s-video signals and a related sub hum along with a noticable degradation of the video output. Any comments about this would be appreciated. I did read Outlaws response about this on a previous post. Is this an issue only a few or many receivers?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Earle

------------------
Reciever: Denon AVR3200
Speakers: Klipsch KG4.2's/KG2.2v/KSB 3.1's/SVS 20-39's
Amps: B&K Ref 4022(mains)/Fidek 600 watt(subs)
DVD: Toshiba 3109
Laser Disc: Pioneer CLD-1090
TV: Sony 32" monitor
2 pair of Aura Bass Shakers

#234 - 09/04/01 11:01 PM Re: have a couple of ?'s about the 1050
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
sdecker

I double-checked a few of these to be sure, they should be correct.

1. The adjustable crossover is global. It'll take the signal from below the crossover point on all of your "small" speakers and add it to the LFE channel.

2. To run a pair of speakers on the center surround channel, you will need to set the impedance selector switch to 4 ohms. Am I correct in believing that the speakers you will be using for the sixth channel are 4 ohm speakers individually (as compared to 8 ohms becoming 4 ohms when wired in parallel)? If they are 4 ohms individually, you'll have a 2 ohm load on that channel. That should still be OK if the receiver is set to 4 ohms, but if in doubt e-mail this question to Outlaw -- they can give you a really reliable answer.

3. The problem with video switching does not appear to be limited to the 1050. There have been reports here in the forum of the problem being even more apparent on a Denon 1600 (Bruce Tiller). Much of it seems to be dependent on the source -- Owl's Warder reported image roll with a Toshiba 2109, and Stanley Cup reported it being very noticeable with a PlayStation2 as the source. Psklenar reported no problems with a Pioneer CLD-3080 LaserDisc player.

I hope that helped some. If you haven't already, skim through the user's manual -- it's available on the Outlaw's site, and it helped me some in deciding if I wanted to order or not (it'll become quickly obvious that it was written in the states by a competent tech writer, rather than translated from Japanese by a translater whose VCR at home still blinks 12:00).

#235 - 09/05/01 12:24 AM Re: have a couple of ?'s about the 1050
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Yep. I'm on board with everything gonk has to say. I also would encourage you to download the manual and check it out. It definitely answered some questions I had before purchasing.

Also, if you read carefully through the sub hum posts, you'll see the solutions people used. I personally never had a problem with the humming.

I don't know what you're looking to spend, but for the money, I don't think you'll beat the 1050. If you've got all your speakers fed from amps in place already, and if you want a bit more processing power, you might want to hold out for the new Outlaw 950 pre/pro. It's currently targeted for release in October, I think. You can check out the details in the news release for June here on the Outlaw site.

Good luck with your purchase! If you get the Outlaw, drop us a line and let us know what you think.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM