Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2227 - 05/23/02 12:07 PM Any chance of a complete 1050/DVD/Speakers for $1000?
mike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
Hey Guys,
I am still researching everything, and while I really want the 1050, I don't know if I can afford all the separates with a progressive DVD and some decent speakers.

Anyway, I am considering the new Onkyo LSV-950 system since it's got everything I am looking for and Onkyo has a pretty good reputation for performance - I can get one for $800.
www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=minisys&m=LS-V950&p=i

If anyone out there can price me out a good system with the 1050, good speakers, and a prgoressive DVD for $1000 or less, I would be most appreciative - thanks!!!
Mike

[This message has been edited by mike (edited May 23, 2002).]

#2228 - 05/23/02 12:36 PM Re: Any chance of a complete 1050/DVD/Speakers for $1000?
geigede Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin
A/V Rcvr-Outlaw 1050 - $534(with s/h) A-Unit
DVD Player-Toshiba SD4700- $229
Speakers- 4 Wharfedale Limited Ed. Diamond 7.2 Bookshelf ($150.00 ubid.com); ARS108PS Sub ($125.00- Ubid.com) TOTAL- $1038

http://www.iagamerica.com/wharfedale/annivf.htm

http://www.acoustic-research.com/

http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/dvd/current/SD4700.html

This is the system I have and I like it alot. I was skeptical about ubid, but the speakers/sub I got are great and covered by manuf warranties. You could get a 1050 B-unit and save $50 dollars, which would bring you below the $1000 mark. The DVD is about as good as you could get and it's also DVD-A.

IMHO,
Del

#2229 - 05/23/02 12:48 PM Re: Any chance of a complete 1050/DVD/Speakers for $1000?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You could even shave a little off that by going with a different progressive DVD player -- the Panasonic RP56 is available for ~$200 (with shipping from J and R it would be $208). You would lose DVD-A with the RP56, though.

By the way, good list, geigede -- the Wharfedales from ubid look like quite a bargain.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#2230 - 05/23/02 12:52 PM Re: Any chance of a complete 1050/DVD/Speakers for $1000?
mike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
Geigede- thanks! Hey, one question - since there are just 4 speakers, what do you do for the center channel??

Mike

#2231 - 05/23/02 01:47 PM Re: Any chance of a complete 1050/DVD/Speakers for $1000?
geigede Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin
My bad...I have an old, very old, Altec Lansing Model#66. I think I've had that for close to 10 years. I'm still fairly pleased with it.

#2232 - 05/27/02 06:40 PM Re: Any chance of a complete 1050/DVD/Speakers for $1000?
RichW Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NYC, NY
on the panasonic rp-56, it has great progressive scan and no chroma bug, you can read about it on www.hometheaterhifi.com look for the dvd shootout, it gets great reviews on its video quality.

It has two cons, one most people would agree on, and the other is my opinion (but I am not alone in it)...

1) the rp56 is barebones...no options
2) the rp56 has serious build quality issues, mine had problems right out of the door...they are flimsy made...

basically you have a high end chip with a very good decoder which makes up 90% of the cost, the other 10% went to build quality and features...I think you take a crap shoot by buying one...

If it were me, and I was spending my $1000, I would pass on the outlaw receiver...don't get me wrong, in its price range, its a great product, the 100's of people reviewing it can't be wrong...however, I think speakers add more to your sound quality than your receiver and source, as long as they are in good working in order...

so i could not choose to spend 70% of my money on my sources and 30% on my speakers...

i would look to buy something like an onkyo 494/500 on the web for $300 or less, that gives you an extra $200 for speakers...

then, if it were me, I wouldnt get a 5.1 setup, I would go with something like this

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m50ti.html

you can get them for $500 from the axiom outlet store...

also, I think they have a return policy that allows you to return them at no cost (they even pay the shipping)...

I have never heard them, but everything I have ever read about them is that they are absolutely great, in fact, they are the same things you hear about outlaw...incredible quality at their price, just way cheaper than their nearest competitors equivalent stuff...

my reasoning is as follows, if you get a good pair of mains, your music will sound much better, and even with most movies it will sound very good...and given that a good pair of mains will give you better bass extension than a not so good subwoofer, you wont miss out on explosions in hometheater...what you will miss out is on the rear sounds...

also the $500 mains will last a long time, or they can move to rears eventually..but if you buy an all in one system, there isnt much room for upgrading, as the stuff you will upgrade will most likely not be used again...

plus, one of the best things about this hobby is looking to add new things, you may have to wait a bit to get that center and rears, but its something to look forward to, to research, to audition, etc...for me that is a lot of fun...

if you are deadset on the 5.1 setup, look at something like this:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/reliableav/quinsatmic.html

or maybe look at some cambridge soundworks stuff, they make good small hometheater...

if you really have your heartset on the outlaw 1050, i would try to pick one up used at around 400 (give or take, i saw one going for 375 the other day) and get the axiom m40's from the outlet...

i hope this didn't come off as 'know it all' sounding, as i am new to good quality audio systems, but I have been spending the last 5 months researching stuff until it was coming out of my nose, and I am just saying what I would do if it were me...

good luck with your decision..

Rich
/btw, I have had nothing but good experiences with ubid.com

#2233 - 05/27/02 06:43 PM Re: Any chance of a complete 1050/DVD/Speakers for $1000?
RichW Offline
Gunslinger

also these speakers get great reviews for small hometheater packages...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/reliableav/psbalminhomt.html

#2234 - 05/28/02 03:21 PM Re: Any chance of a complete 1050/DVD/Speakers for $1000?
RichW Offline
Gunslinger

#2235 - 05/29/02 12:24 AM Re: Any chance of a complete 1050/DVD/Speakers for $1000?
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
Good Evening all,
I must concur on the choice of the Wharfedales. Excellent bargain. I run the Pacific Pi 40s in front, the Pi 20s in the rear, a PowerCube sub, and the Pacific Center for, well, center. I really like the sound, and so far, the build quality of the speakers. I was pumping over 100 watts on peaks all around last night, and all that the speakers did was perform beautifully.
I've used ubid in the past. No problems on purchases, but I'm having trouble getting credited for a returned item. Be careful.
One more thing, if you haven't viewed 'Behind Enemy Lines' on a good system, then you're in for a treat. I won't spoil it for you. I had a 'blast'!
'Till Next Time,
Mix

Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM