HOLY SMOKES! INTENSE!

Rented this one on Sunday night. The surprise attack battle scene early in the film just about knocked me out of my chair. Aura bass shakers augmenting my LFM-1 contributed to the impact of those cannon balls. I too used the DTS track but didn't have time to compare with the DD. I may have to rent again or just buy this one to do just that. Yes the surrounds were very active - especially during the battle scenes and I agree that they added a convincing sense of realism. The sweet sounds of the string duets provided a welcomed relief from the chaotic noise of battle.

I was not as impressed with the video. On my system most scenes seemed a little dark and lacking in color. The gray fog of the opening scenes seemed to carry through the film. I'm sure this was the intent of the director/cinematographer but I thought some scenes could have been brighter. Perhaps I'm picking nits here.

Overall a good story well told with good acting. I enjoyed it very much. My wife and daughter were not up to seeing the blood and guts of warfare but I didn't think it was over the top or gratuitous. Especially since the ships doctor was a central character.

By the way, were any of you reminded of the Star Trek TV series while watching this? I half expected to hear Capt. Jack refer to Dr. Maturin as "Bones".

------------------
Tekdredger

[This message has been edited by tekdredger (edited May 05, 2004).]