Soundhound,

I agree that nothing beats the old organ for great deep bass. I collected a lot of E. Power Biggs' stuff on vinyl - and even with that format's limitations it was as impressive as anything in my collection.

However my original point regarding U-571 was not the deepest frequencies but rather the shear dynamics of the depth charge sequence. Yes other DVDs have explosions, but none as crisp, and in one sequence, rapid fire as in U-571. No pipe organ can "attack" and produce a blast effect like that. And mixed in between the blasts are all sorts of neat sound efcets - like the depth charge "shrapnel" scratching along the side of the sub after the last rapid fire set of blasts.

And by the by, the de facto "organ" demo classic on vinyl was, in my opinion, not the real thing, but rather Walter Carlos' Switched-on Bach. Audio magazine (I think) had an article on how to build the ultimate passive home sub (it was huge by today's standards) and used that album in its testing of the version that they built. I wore out two copies of that album. The re-done 25th anniversary CD pales in comparison - which is one of the few times you will ever hear me choose vinyl over CD!

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood