Quote:
Originally posted by S C Brown:
But why put a number of how many channels an integrated amp can have? Yes, it's in the realm of home theatre, but I think it would be a consumer-friendly product, function wise.
You could build a multichannel integrated amp, but if we're staying purist here we're talking about something with no DSP and no DAC's - so each input has to be a multichannel analog connection, and each source has to offer multichannel analog outputs. There was a device that offered multiple multichannel analog inputs and I think even had a volume control for at least one or two of those inputs - it was the Sony TA-E9000ES, and was developed as an add-on to the TA-P9000ES so that it could be used with multichannel SACD. You'd still need separate amplification and Sony discontinued it probably four years ago or more.

Quote:
Originally posted by S C Brown:
What I'm really after is a complete amplication solution that doesn't have the radio/phono/tape circuits which I consider unnecessary or redundant. Instead of spending money on those functions, throw that into the video switching. This would represent a unitary solution in one chassis, with one remote control. Maybe the best way to explain what I'm after is a Denon-quality A/V unit without the receiver. I'm sure Outlaw could make such a unit of equal quality and features. And I just gotta have the equalizer. Yep, you're right in saying it's going to make cost an issue (and the quality of most equalizers isn't good), but I really think it would be a unique and useful addition. Only Outlaw would have it! That's the secret of successful marketing; a unique selling proposition.
The possibly unfortunate truth is that it is only cost effective to build products that either fit defined market sectors (surround receiver, surround processor, stereo receiver, stereo integrated amp, ...) or are completely outside any such definitions (Outlaw's discontinued ICBM-1) because if you try to create something that is related to a standard product niche while also being off on a tangent (especially an expensive tangent) you end up with too small a target market to make any profit. The only way that anybody (including Outlaw) could pull a product like this off would be to have an existing platform with all of these features plus the normal features that the market expects (tuner, analog inputs, and so forth) and then make a version that stripped the extra stuff out - and it'd still be a hard sell.