I think it would be very wise to get an HDMI 1.3 pre-amp to market that supports ALL of the features of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, plus:

The DSP engines should be real number crunchers to allow full 8 channel, 24/192 resolution post-processing (as well as tone/EQ control, channel delay/trim, bass management, Audyssey, etc.) support with no downconversion and no audible effect on sound quality. That will take some serious horsepower!

Allow Dolby ProLogic IIx post-processing for all 5.0/5.1 formats including full 24/192 resolution LPCM and DTS/DTS-HD.

Professional digital audio clocking system from Apogee for jitter free performance.

High end Audyssey auto calibration up to and including 8 channel, 24/192 resolution LPCM with additional auto calibration support for subwoofers, an area that the Audyessey calibration software is not, in and of itself, particularly good at. Allow after-auto calibration adjustments to the settings for further tweaking to taste. A weakness of some manufacturer implementations of Audyssey.

Top end components, plus the best 24/192 Wolfsen or EM Lab ADC's & DAC's with full support for DSD decoding.

Full, direct DSD bitstream decoding for SACD's via HDMI.

At least five HDMI 1.3 inputs. Two HDMI 1.3 outputs for dual monitors.

Full internal 1920x1080p/24 and 1920x1080p/60 video conversion and selectable pass through modes for each input. Full 1920x1080p on screen over-lay menu support (so, you don't lose HDMI handshaking every time you bring up the on screen menu).

Silicon Optix's best Realta HQV/Teranex video processing chip with full motion adaptive, reverse telecine support for superior 1080i to 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 conversion (user's choice dependant upon their display's capabilities), and superior 480i/480p/720p to 1080p up-conversion as well.

Full on-board support for HDMI 1.3 Deep Color and A/V synch capabilities.

I'd pay up to $2,500 for such a direct-to-consumer pro-grade processor. I'm sure it can be done.