I used an AM7 with my 1050 for close to six months. It works -- I set it up with no sub, set the mains to "large", and I don't remember where I set the crossover for the others (I used Bose Model 100's for my surrounds and surround back, with no powered sub).

Here are my thoughts on my old AM7 -- do with them what you will. My old Yamaha RX-V690 pro-logic receiver sounded pretty decent, but the 1050 that I replaced it with was a definite and immediate improvement. What does that have to do with the AM7's? Well, the 1050's improvements helped identify the AM7's inherent weaknesses (frequency response problems and what-not) while oddly enough making them sound better than they had previously. I ended up replacing my Bose speakers. Your mileage may vary. Either way, I'd wager that the 1050 will make your AM10 do the best job it's capable of. Depending on your ear and your speaker preferences, you may or may not find yourself looking at them and wondering if you could toss them on eBay to help fund a speaker upgrade, though...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review