Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19547 - 06/10/04 07:15 PM New Onkyo TX-NR 1000 receiver
jmartin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rancho Cordova, CA, USA
Take a look at the build of this unit. It has actual processor cards that can be replaced with NEW upgrades. If the Outlaws build a pre-pro this way, consumers will be able to buy upgrades as they can become available (or affordable for the buyer). Start with a chasis that has a basic feature set, then make available software and hardware upgrades. This is great way to assure a furture proof unit! I do not want to have a unit that is obsolete, or unusable with firewire and DVI. I REALIZE THAT THE INTERNAL PROCESSORS WILL NEED TO BE HEFTY TO ACCOMODATE FUTURE UPGRADES.
HERE IS THE LINK
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry/onkyo_pr_2004-02.htm
John M

#19548 - 06/10/04 07:42 PM Re: New Onkyo TX-NR 1000 receiver
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
So it's built like a computer dedicated to audio? It's a neat idea, but I don't know how well it'll pan out.

#19549 - 06/11/04 08:55 PM Re: New Onkyo TX-NR 1000 receiver
jmartin Offline
Gunslinger

Most A/V equipment is based on permanent boards. The only change will be that these can be replaced. I have built many computers and tinkered with many stereo analog units and digital A/V pre pro's. I can't see that this architecture would have any effect on sound. If this is not the case Onkyo has made an expensive error. It is an interseting experiment! I really hope it works, because of the flexibility it brings to the A/V world. I have been waiting for 4 years for someone to develope a design like this. Thanks for your input!

#19550 - 06/12/04 02:43 PM Re: New Onkyo TX-NR 1000 receiver
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i have talked about this being a good idea before... i still think it would be great for the consumer. modular design saves money for the manufacturers too and is much easier to repair.

however the txnr1000 is what 4k? a good idea, but not good enough for that price... plus, you will undoubtedly have to buy some upgrade cards to start with to get the feature set that you would like.

however hopefully it will be a step in the right direction. audio companies are really scared to go out on a limb and do something unique in fear of it not selling, at least onkyo has the courage to keep cutting the edge. also the size of company (along with integra) to sacrifice some sales for advancement of their craft.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#19551 - 06/13/04 01:49 PM Re: New Onkyo TX-NR 1000 receiver
jmartin Offline
Gunslinger

I read on the Audioholics coverage of CES 2004 that Onkyo/Integra is going to use this idea on a series of lesser receivers and pre-pros.

#19552 - 06/15/04 10:21 AM Re: New Onkyo TX-NR 1000 receiver
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jmartin:
I read on the Audioholics coverage of CES 2004 that Onkyo/Integra is going to use this idea on a series of lesser receivers and pre-pros.

it makes sense from a cost perspective, manufacturer a ton of "cards" and then plug them into different platforms. i think we all remember how much computers used to cost, and now the prices have been driven very low. laptops are still relatively expensive because they do not get put together in a similar way (i.e. arent as modular).

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 231 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM