I would like to see Outlaw consider a design that allowed field update of the software in the device. The recently escalating 1050 problems with Dolby EX are such a shame. Outlaw's outstanding customer service, arguably one of the top reasons to buy Outlaw, was left without an avenue to help. What could have be fixed by a minor software update wasn't possible. Many customers would have been happy to send Outlaw $20 for a new PROM for their 1050s if that was possible.

Software is just to complicated to get right the first time. I hope Outlaw doesn't handcuff itself in future devices and takes advantage of the "soft" in software. An additional benefit of such a design would be that Outlaw could more safely take chances on bleeding edge features in the new receiver (like they did with 6.1 in the 1050) without the risk.

I know there will be pressure to go overboard on the amplifier section at the expense of the price point. Despite how the quoted performance compares, customers that overcame the spec numbers game have been well rewarded with a superior sounding receiver in the 1050. While 6 or 7x100 watt receiver priced at $900 fits well into the Outlaw product line and would be in keeping with Outlaw's notoriety for value, this would not be a replacement for the 1050.

The 1050 was successful because of its high quality sound for $500. Outlaw is cool not only for its value, but also for the fact that they provided access to it for as little as $500. While still a good value, Outlaw equipment since the 1050 has all been at least 3x the price of the 1050. I hope Outlaw doesn't evacuate the $500 receiver market with the 1050's replacement.