I'm back, and thought I'd toss out some more thoughts.

The ability to rename inputs would be very nice -- something I have always felt the 950's successor will need, and it might be cool to try it here as well.

It probably makes sense to go with five video inputs (like the 950: DVD, VCR in/out, Video1, Video2, and Video3), but the audio-only inputs could probably be accomplished with two (CD and tape/aux in/out). Although none of us will fuss if there are more inputs than that.

The 1050 lacked an A/B speaker option, and I expect its replacement to be similar. Either a second zone (similar to the 950) or a second pair of pre-amp outputs for the mains (cheaper than the second zone) might help make up for that.

Cirrus's triple crossover would be handy, and it's a very logical progression from the 1050's single adjustable crossover. Stereo bypass would be good to include, as well.

EDIT: Here's another thought, a bit weird and nit-picky. There is hopefully still an Outlaw DVD player on the drawing board, which will include multichannel analog outputs for DVD-A and SACD. When laying out the back panel of that player and the 1050's successor, you might consider lining up the multichannel connectors on both so they are placed similarly to the multichannel inputs on the 950 -- so that anyone putting an Outlaw DVD player in an equipment rack above a 950 or 1050v2 would have a straight shot down from outputs to inputs (unlike my Panasonic DVD-Audio player, which has the outputs probably 8" to the left of the 950's inputs, creating a six-cable bundle cutting across in front of other audio and video cables going into the 950). You can't match rear panel layouts with every other manufacturer around, but it could be a nice touch to maintain uniformity of this type within your own product line.

Quote:
but what about a SACD MODE?

Onboard DVD-A and SACD decoding via digital input (firewire) would be cool, but I doubt it will be possible by next summer -- last I heard, there was still no industry standard encryption established. Denon and Pioneer have done it with their own encryption, but it requires using their player and their receiver.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited November 15, 2003).]