Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#1926 - 04/27/02 05:44 PM Watts per channel?
Miller Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Ashland, OR, USA
Hi there, we are having a large debate on one of the popular audio forums about how many watts on average the Outlaw 1050 can push if driving the front and rear surrounds and the front center at 8 ohms, so basicly 5 channels.

Anyone know the answer?

#1927 - 04/27/02 07:10 PM Re: Watts per channel?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Nominally, 65 watts. In actuality, far far more than that. This beast sounds clean at volumes that 110 watt receivers distort at. In most rooms and with most speakers, it's not even an issue. If you've got 89 dB efficiency speakee room, it may not be enough for you.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#1928 - 04/29/02 10:23 AM Re: Watts per channel?
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Miller,

The Outlaw 1050 receiver is rated at 65 watts per channel into 8 ohms. While I'm now using an Outlaw 750 amplifier, I drove my current speakers (Boston Accoustics VR-M series) for about a year with just the 1050's built in amps. My speakers have a sensitivity of 89 dB and I generally ran at a volume setting of about 45 for a very comfortable (i.e.; below reference) sound level. To reach the reference level of 70 (or is it 80?) dB, I had to turn the volume up to around 60-ish. The sound was still quite clean and neither I nor my friends were able to detect any strain or distortion in the sound.

For what it's worth, the reason I bought the 750 is that I was building a house and knew I'd ned two systems. I was planning to buy the 950 for the future dedicated HT (planning to put the 1050 in the Living Room) and knew I'd need external amplification for it. When I found the 750 for a price I couldn't turn down ... I didn't.

I hope this helps,

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#1929 - 04/29/02 02:30 PM Re: Watts per channel?
Miller Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

So that's what they mean by nominal?

No matter what I will get 65 watts per channel?

I figured it would be around 45 or 50 watts if driving 5 8ohm speakers.

#1930 - 04/29/02 02:46 PM Re: Watts per channel?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Nominal basically means "according to what they say." We're saying that it's more than it appears to be.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#1931 - 04/29/02 02:56 PM Re: Watts per channel?
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Miller,

Ah, you're asking the ol' "How many watts per channel if all 6 channels are being driven at peak?" question. I can't recall, but I *think* it was S&V, some magazine had put together a chart of watts per channel when measured in a lab and it was less than 65 watts per channel with all six channels being driven at peak. However, you're simply never going to drive all six channels to peak at the same time (have you ever really listened to what's coming out of the surround speakers? ), so that's a very artificial measurement.

In terms of real world performance, as I noted in my earlier post, my 1050 drove four Boston Acoustics VR-M50s, one VR-12 and an old Radio Shack (acting as rear center) - Note that the five BA's all have 89db Sensitivity - without any problems what so ever.

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#1932 - 04/29/02 10:19 PM Re: Watts per channel?
Miller Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the info, that helps out a lot. I cant wait to get it here and hook it up. I should have my crossovers back by then and all my speakers in place......... except for the sub, it will have to wait for a later date. Want to go with an SVS.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics
98,700 Posts