Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1867 - 04/27/02 12:42 AM Re: 1050 vs, Marantz SR5200?
David_W Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
Hey everybody... thanks for the responses. This forum is so cool! I went into this upgrade rather ignorant, but I have learned a lot here.

First... I called Outlaw tech support this morning and talked to a very knowledgeable guy (Scott?... can't recall for sure). He agreed that most A/V receivers do degrade the sound from analog sources because the pre-amp converts it to digital and then back again. He had no real solution and suggested what Gonk did... that I might be happier to have separate setups for music and home theater.

However, the more I listen to the 1050, the better it is sounding. The main amplifier sounds pretty good to me and has plenty of power for my needs, and actually the pre-amp seems decent too when I use a digital connection from my DVD. Apparently, it's the additional digital conversion for analog sources that is giving me "fits" So I'm gonna head over to Radio Shack, see if I can find a simple two-channel switcher, and use that to connect my analog components to the 1050's direct inputs. I will still lose the receiver's bass management... but I think I can get around that by connecting my subwoofer to the 1050's pre-amp outs, and using the sub's cross-over.

Wish me luck! And thanks once again to everybody for your help.

#1868 - 04/27/02 10:03 AM Re: 1050 vs, Marantz SR5200?
sfw Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: IL, USA
David_W, can you use your old receiver to do the switching, i.e., does it have pre-amp outs?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM