I think Bob's recommendation on going to listen to speakers is the best and least adhered to advice out there.

We all have probably made the mistake of jumping on equipment and we damn well knew we could have spent more time researching - but we jump for a variety of reasons - impatience, the need for gratification, the "wife seems to be ok right now with this so I'd better pull the trigger before she gets un-ok with it..." factor (a big one that pushes the credit card out of my wallet... smile )...but at the very least, make sure you demo the speakers you do buy for a respectable time with music you know...pieces you know and are intimate with. You should be picking out subtle details that you "never heard before" and be oooh'd and aaah'd a couple times. That's the fun in shopping for gear. You don't get that blindly shopping on Audiogon.

But if you do settle on a certain model/manufacturer, Audiogon does have some killer deals all the time but they move fast so you have to be ready to jump. B&W's in particular move quite briskly. I've made it a point to hold onto the packaging for my new 685's and all the material that came with them because I'm very confident that when I get the upgrade bug again, I'll put them up for sale there, they'll move quickly, and the proceeds will fund the next duo of speakers to bless my listening space.
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones