Vinyl seems to be gaining momentum, but this is due to audio quality. I don't know that there will be any stabilization of the digital realm until the audio element becomes superior to analog.

Now that you have multi channel format broadcast over cable, movies on demand....you don't have to stock up a DVD library. (Side note) Of course this means we've become a pay-for-access consumer. The days of public TV stations are going away. It appalls me last year you had to pay NFL network to watch Monday Night Football, which has been available to us over public broadcast for many years. Now you need cable. I rarely buy DVD's anymore with NetFlix, except for smaller labels and specialty box sets. CD however are different because we play them so repeatedly. I refuse to buy an mp3 player until it is lossless audio. Of course, this may be all for not if the recording sound engineers keep messing with the compression of the recordings.

I think with the advent of cell phones, we will have pocket servers that will access our own home based server/hard drive for media storage...or a business based media server. You can now watch MLB TV through a compatible cell phone.

CD will survive because we are a nostalgic culture, however I think you might be right garcianc2003, DVD will slowly go away....UNLESS the electronic industry keeps finding ways to "put lipstick on a pig." There are always consumers who want the next "better" product.

That is my rant for today.

I was always told in audio simpler is better, but with technology...I sure love the thought of watching the Phillies win the World Series on my cell phone if I have to work a late night.
Outlaw 990/7125/ATI 150; Mirage OM-5 Mains,OM-C2Cntr,OM-7 Sides,OM-9 rears; Boston Acoustics P1000 Sub; Sony NC555ES CDP; Panasonic 52" plasma, Sony 34" XBR CRT; Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer; Belkin Pure AV P60