Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#17076 - 11/01/07 03:27 PM Convert LPs and Cassettes to Digital Audio
podular Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eastsound, WA
Can someone recommend a method for converting my collection of LPs and audio cassettes to lossless digital?

My goal is to have all my audio material on a hard drive.

#17077 - 11/01/07 03:57 PM Re: Convert LPs and Cassettes to Digital Audio
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've converted some cassettes to WAV files before, mostly as an intermediate step to MP3. I've simply connected a halfway decent player (in my case an old dual-deck component that went into a yard sale earlier this year) to the line input of a PC sound card and recorded. The process of recording one side of the tape and then breaking it into separate files for each track was a bit tedious, but I suspect that software exists now that will detect pauses in playback and save songs to separate files. Unfortunately, I haven't looked very hard for such software - all I've seen recently was a severely overpriced cassette deck that came with such software that was advertised as a way to archive cassettes to the computer.

#17078 - 11/01/07 10:43 PM Re: Convert LPs and Cassettes to Digital Audio
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA

#17079 - 11/02/07 04:04 PM Re: Convert LPs and Cassettes to Digital Audio
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
For software, try Audacity. It's free and is not too difficult to use.

As for getting the audio into your computer, there are a number of methods. The turntables with a digital output, as mentioned in the above post, basically combine three pieces of equipment into one; a turntable, a phono preamp, and an Analog to Digital Converter (ADC). My only gripe with them is that their not the best quality devices in any of those categories. As a matter of fact, I would bet your current turntable is a better source. Also, why buy a second turntable when you already have one??

That said, what you do need is a good audio card. This card, or break-out box, should have line inputs that you can connect the output of either your phono preamp or cassette deck to. As gonk mentioned, your computer probably already has a built-in line input that you can use. For better quality there's a bunch of boxes out there that you can look at. Here's a few:

My personal favorite:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292993-REG/Sound_Devices_USBPRE15_USBPre_Version_1_5_.html
It's a touch pricey but built like a tank and adds no coloration to your sound. Add Audacity and you've got a great setup.

Option 2:
http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Audiophile...0694079-7791810
A little older but should do the trick. Read the reviews about needing new drivers. Under $100 as well.

There are other options available as well. Look around for analog to digital converters...

Only other thing is that when you get the audio onto your computer, make sure that you are recording it as a .wav file. 16 bit 44.1khz are the standard redbook CD settings.

#17080 - 11/03/07 01:40 PM Re: Convert LPs and Cassettes to Digital Audio
podular Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eastsound, WA
Thanks for all the great advice.

My HK/Rabco ST7 turntable was plugged into an outlet struck by lightning several years ago. It never worked afterward but I have not replaced it.

#17081 - 11/04/07 12:02 AM Re: Convert LPs and Cassettes to Digital Audio
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Well, then if you do need a new turntable, there's also this all in one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/N...face?sku=801258

#17082 - 11/10/07 04:08 AM Re: Convert LPs and Cassettes to Digital Audio
Stephen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Hello, you might want to consider a Music Hall, NAD, or a Rega turntable. Just Google each one, and see which one fits you. As far as a recording device, Comp USA, and a company called "DAK" has a device and software to burn what you want. They both allow you to separate the tracks to "skip" songs. Just keep in mind, if you have LP's in good condition, purchase a turntable that you can use, not an "all in one" turntable. Quality is everything.
Oppo 981HD
Cambridge 640c II CD player

DIECTV HR21-700
Rega P2 w/tweaks
Klipsch RF82's, RF3's, RC62, RS3's

#17083 - 11/12/07 02:21 AM Re: Convert LPs and Cassettes to Digital Audio
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
DAK?? Is Drew A. Kaplan back in business? I remember his catalogs with delight and he turned me on to home breadmaking.

#17084 - 11/12/07 03:00 AM Re: Convert LPs and Cassettes to Digital Audio
Stephen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
O.K., O.K., he is still around. It works. A friend of mine had one. I was trying to give an option other than an all in one LP recording devise posted. I take pride in my LP collection, and would only use a good quality turtable, and something to convert it to CD...... and yes, I remember his catalogs too.
Oppo 981HD
Cambridge 640c II CD player

DIECTV HR21-700
Rega P2 w/tweaks
Klipsch RF82's, RF3's, RC62, RS3's

Who's Online
0 registered (), 348 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM