Sony hasn't ever been at the top of my list, but that's mostly stubbornness on my part - I felt that they have often charged more than was warranted simply because of the "Sony" name. That being said, I do admit that the ES line has long held a very respectable position in the market, so I certainly wouldn't ever try to make a case against using a receiver like your old 3000ES - it's good stuff. Like you, I don't know much about the current generations of ES gear, but the older stuff at least has a good reputation. And Sony is certainly not alone in choosing to skip THX certification and stand on their own merits - it's the exact same thing Outlaw's done, and there are several other home theater separates manufacturers who fall into the same category.
Quote:
With the 990/7125, my speaker calibrations of changed on the average + 5 db per channel. So it is fair to say that I have to increase the 990 volume 5 db to match the same levels as the Sony.
That may be true, but you changed too many variables to be certain of that. I think the only real way to compare the 7125 to the Sony's internal amps would have been to connect the 7125 to the Sony and re-calibrate using a calibration disc (not internal test tones), then compare those values to those found with the 990/7125 combination using the same calibration disc. At the end of the day, I don't see any need to worry about it, as the important part is that the system is calibrated.