Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#1676 - 03/25/02 03:15 PM Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
speed3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Westbrook, Maine, US
Ok, I've been checking this Outlaw thing out for a while now. At least the last few months anyway. I really like the company philosophy and believe they make excellent products although I have not experienced it first hand.

I've been planning on upgrading to a new receiver and the 1050 is on the top of the list. It has bothered me that DTS-ES was not included nor DPL II. I found it acceptable since most brands that had these features cost much more $$. In steps the new Onkyo 600 with a 6th channel, DPL II, and DTS-ES.

Obviously, it seems as though the Outlaw has higher sound quality from what I've read. I don't have a rear surround speaker and probably won't for another year so the DTS-ES shouldn't be an issue to me and I can live without that. Most of my listening is music. I don't have an SACD or DVDA player. I would say my listening is 65% music, 25% tv viewing (no digital cable or satellite) and 10% movies.

Please tell me why I should buy the Outlaw. My heart wants me to, but something makes me feel like I would be missing out on something without DPL II. I'll read your responses tomorrow. If you do a good job convincing, I'm going to place my order.

Thanks
Eric

#1677 - 03/25/02 06:33 PM Re: Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
It sounds great in Stereo!!!

#1678 - 03/25/02 07:39 PM Re: Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Having not heard DPL2 yet to know how much it really brings to the table (reportedly it's a lot for stereo and older pro-logic sources), I can only offer my experience. I listen to music on two-channel, which the 1050 is very good at (Hullguy's not kidding there). If you want good two-channel performace as a first priority, the 1050 is a pretty good place to start. For movies, it's hard to beat (especially if you aren't looking to delve deeply into the emerging 6.1 formats -- although if you do decide to try it, the 1050 does a good job with its "Surround 6.1" for DD 5.1 tracks). For TV viewing, I've switched between two-channel, Pro-Logic, and the "Natural" DSP mode on my 1050. Currently, it's set on Natural, and it works well for us.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart

#1679 - 03/26/02 01:17 AM Re: Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
eurorom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: El Paso Texas
Hi speed3 wait for the NAD T752 with DD,DDEX,DTS,DTS ES,DTS NEO:6,7.1Matrix,ProLogic2,preouts for all 7.1 channels,6 video inputs all S-Video and composite,Component Video on 3 inputs and 1 output,plus it's rated at 80 per channel all channels driven from 20hz to 20khz,over 50 amp's peak current,and soft cliping.MSRP only 899.00 should be out first week of May.Also i would like to let you know,that the sound it's great,as good as the OUTLAW 1050. sssssssssssssssssssmiiiilllllleeee!!!!!!!!

#1680 - 03/26/02 06:38 AM Re: Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
j.h2os Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

eurorom - you have a link with more info on that T752?

i am in the same boat speed3. i am approaching the time to upgrade to a 6.1 capable reciever and the 1050 is up there on my list. the onkyo 600 looked promising, but the outlaws huge advantage over that unit is the pre-outs. the 600 has none! that put it right out of the competition for me. my current receiver has no pre-outs, and it is a must for my upgrade. this may not be as important to you, but just thought it was a point to make in support of the 1050...

[This message has been edited by j.h2os (edited March 26, 2002).]

#1681 - 03/26/02 07:27 AM Re: Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
speed3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Westbrook, Maine, US
Man, that NAD sounds sweet. Do you have any more info on it? This is what I've been waiting for Outlaw to come out with. I can definitely wait a couple of more months before purchasing. I'm just hoping that Outlaw's new product debuting "before the MLB All-Star Game" is an update to the 1050. I have a feeling it could be (or maybe it's wishful thinking because it should be) a new receiver. I think the time has come.

I told myself that if the response was overwhelming this morning, I'd order it. I thank you all for your input. I'm just going to wait to see what happens.

j.h2os, I agree with you on the 600's lack of pre-outs. I've been looking at the possibility of getting the 1050, upgrading the amplifiers down the road a year or two(to say, a 770 or similar) and then picking up a nice pre-pro. I also think that the Onkyo receiver may sound too bright with my speakers.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM